CHAPTER EIGHT

Stronger Than Heaven

~

Jace held my hand tightly, pulling me into the courtyard of the Institute. "From everything I've heard, my mother suffered in silence alone for years." Jace stated, letting go of my hand to walk a head of me. "She never got the help she needed."

I frowned, following after him. My heart was yearning to help him feel better, to change his emotions. But I only knew that would make him mad, probably even upset. I gently placed my hand onto his cheek, smiling at him for comfort. "I promise that we won't make that Same mistake, baby, whatever is happening to you, I swear we will figure that shit out."

"Together?" Jace asked, letting the corners of his lips tweak up at the corners.

"Together, always." I replied as I continued to caress his cheek, watching as his small smile turned into a frown again.

"I'm thinking of going to the City of Bones for treatment." He confessed.

"Are you sure?" I asked, moving my hand down to rest again this shoulder.

"They have a history of helping Shadowhunters with mental health issues."

"I mean, are you absolutely sure?" I asked, looking at him in worry "We have no idea if that is what you're really going through."

"Baby." Jace whispered, placing his hand against my cheek "There's a family history."

"B-but." I began as a small stutter fell from my lips making me paused for a few seconds before speaking again. "You didn't start feeling like this until I asked my father to bring you back."

"I think that was a trigger." Jace informed me, smiling warmly as he peered down at me, pressing our foreheads together. "A trigger for something that has always been there, look. I can't sit benched and do nothing. If there's even a chance the Silent Brothers can help me, then—"

"But what if they can't?" I asked, pulling my head back to look at him properly, tears appearing in my eyes. "You know the stupid Clave would deem you no good for duty. You'd definitely be deruned—"

"And what choice do I have?" Jace spoke up, suddenly placing both of his hands onto my cheeks, making a small gasp leave my throat. "I can't live like this, Ari."

"What if I tried to speak to my father?" I suggested, staring into his eyes.

"No." Jace shook his head "That's too dangerous, look if we summon Raziel, he could destroy us just for bothering him, daughter or not."

"Fine, what about Ithuriel?" I asked "He's helped us before, plus his blood does run in our veins." I said as I leaned into the palm of his hand while he caresses my cheek gently. "Look, Jace, if you are suffering consequences of being brought back from the dead, maybe Ithuriel can do something about it."