CHAPTER TWO

On Infernal Ground

~

The wind gently touched my face as the light sky illuminated the water below the bridge. Ever since the Rune Ceremony I've found myself spending more and more time here, sitting on this bench, my eyes gazing out towards the water.

I've wanted nothing more than to tell somebody about that night. The guilt was almost eating me alive, not like that would actually get Jace to change his mind about keeping it a secret. Even Clary argued with him about it, stating that "They'll understand, they're your family." But did he listen? No, of course not.

Even I've tried reasoning with him, but all he does is inform me about the Gard and how they will lock me up for using the wish. Even that made Clary side with him, stating that she didn't need me getting locked up for something that I needed to do. Why was it so hard for them to understand? I'm sure Alec wouldn't rat us out to the Clave, he's my best friend. I'm sure he'd understand.

A small sigh left my lips, one that told me I needed to leave and start my way home. But I didn't want to move. The cold wind felt nice against my face, making goosebumps appear onto my arms and neck. Something I've grown accustomed too.

"How long have you been here?"

"Not long, maybe an hour." I muttered as I turned my head to the side, watching as Gilbert's eyes narrowed while he sat down beside me.

"More like three." He informed me. "Isabelle sent me here to get you."

"Did she now?" I say, not sounding surprised.

"Yep." Gilbert nodded "She can feel your emotions, Ari, she says you feel guilty."

My teeth nibbled at my bottom lip as I slowly turned to face him. "I-um, I guess I just feel guilty for Clary." I lied, my voice wavering slightly as he raised his brow.

"Why would you feel guilty for my girlfriend?"

"She has no family anymore, her mom's dead, her brother's dead and now her father is also dead. I just can't help but wish she had someone who was related to her that was still alive."

"She has us, Ari." Gilbert smiled, his hand reaching over to touch mine "The whole Institute is her family now, She's my family now."

"Yeah, I've never thought about it like that before." I smiled falsely, of course I already knew that, Clary would always be my sister figure, well my annoying sister but still family to me. This was just my alibi, to keep Izzy off my back about my feelings. Clary even agreed to it.