CHAPTER SEVEN

The Soul Instructed

~

The piece of bloodied cloth was held tightly in my left hand while my right drew over the tracking rune with my stele, activating it.

"No point tracking." Isabelle spoke up, nudging me slightly "Our mundane's dead."

"It's better we try." Clary sighed, looking around "In case he's being held over water or something."

"Clary's right." I muttered, staying close to my Parabatai as she cautiously walked through the back ends of the streets, where most vampires hang out. "Are you sure you're okay, walking through a neighbourhood filled with creatures of the night?"

"I can handle it." Izzy replied, giving me a fake smile that I saw straight through. "Yin Fen dealers know the dirt, if we play our cards right, their might be a lead to this delinquent bloodsucker."

"So, that mundane you're avoiding, is it because you're still hung up on Raphael?" Clary piped up, crossing her arms as she moved in closer to us.

"Let's just drop it." Izzy said before Clary chuckled.

"You do remember who you're talking too."

"All the guys I've been with, sex was always a big part of it." Isabelle started, sighing gently "With Raphael, it was about everything but that. He made me feel like I wanted so much more."

"So, why end it?" I asked softly.

"We thought we couldn't be together without being tempted by our old habits. But Raphael and I, there's something about us that just fits."

"Izzy, as your Parababe, I know your instincts are always spot-on." I smiled warmly. "If you and Raphael fit—" My heart skipped a beat slightly with hope as the cloth started to glow.

"It's glowing." Clary exhaled sharply, her arms uncrossing.

"Does that mean?" Izzy started, looking at the glowing cloth.

"It means I just got a tracking hit on our missing mundane." I breathed out, the corners of my lips curving up slightly.

"He's not dead." Clary said, stating the obvious.

"Not yet anyways." I added as the girls and I set off to find the mundane, our walking turning into a full blown sprint.
.
.
We walked down the steps of an old looking warehouse, Isabelle now holding the cloth as Clary and I trailed behind her. "Tracking signal's on fire." Izzy stated.