Prologue

You know those days when your ‘other half’ doesn’t really feel like your ‘other half’. Like, the person you thought was on the same wave length as you seems to be in a complete different universe.

 Well, that’s how I’ve felt for days.

 My girlfriend Cara. She’s amazing. Sweet, bubbly, talkative and fun to be around. But sometimes people can be a bit too fun. To be truthful, it was becoming down right annoying. I couldn’t tell her that of course. I hated seeing those bright eyes of her darken.

 “Vic, where the hell did my bass go?”

 I snapped from my thoughts, gaze locking on Jaime Preciado. The bassist of Pierce the Veil. I couldn’t help but grin at his clueless expression. His usual goofy smile was fixed into a frustrated pout as he searched around the bus for his instrument.

 “I think Mike took it out, he went over to the sound booth to get them plugged in for our set.”

I explained. My eyes did a small scan of the other boy. His hands were toned from all the work on that bass, he wasn’t tall, but he was just the right height for me. His tan skin reminded me faintly of caramel and his lips...

 Woah there Fuentes, what the hell are you thinking?

 I mentally shook myself. That was Jaime my mind had just checked out. I blinked, confused at my sudden interest. I considered myself straight like an arrow. Always had and always will be. At least, I thought.

 “Ahhh that idiot. I told him not to touch my stuff!”

 Jaime exclaimed, plopping down beside me and shoving his face into my shoulder. I tensed, the ends of his hair tickling the base of my neck. It was usual for us to act a bit...gayish at interviews and all. We’d play on the fact that so many fans liked to ship ‘Fuenciado’, but we both knew it was strictly a game. 

 So as his breath sent small tingles down my spin I could only force laugh, patting his back and ignoring the fast beating of my heart.

 “Don’t worry, I’m sure he meant well.”

 Jaime pulled away, still looking slightly upset. I wondered if I should comfort him more, my hands wanted to retract and pull him into a hug, but was that going to far? Suddenly, the door slammed open and a familiar figure made it’s way onto the bus.

 Before I could even utter a word, the small body flung itself into my hands and cuddled close into my chest.

 “Viccccccccccc! I’ve missed youuuuuuuu!”

 The voice was high pitched, girlish. I didn’t even have to look down and I could tell that it was in fact Cara who had made a home in my lap.

 “Hello there..”

 I mumbled, a bit ticked off at the interruption between myself and Jaime. I tried to not show my unhappiness as she crashed her lips to mine. I wasn’t in the mood for how touchy she was getting, but what could I do?

 She traced a small circle on my upper arm and pulled at the ends of my dark hair.

 “I’m going to be touring with you guys for the European tour! Aren’t you excited?!?”

 She practically screeched into my ear. I restrained from rolling my eyes and cracked another fake smile.

 “Yeah babe, can’t wait...”

 Secretly, I wished she wouldn’t come along. I’d felt like we weren’t as suited for one and other as we used to be. Maybe spending more time with her would fix that broken connection? I really didn’t think so, it would probably only end up making it worse.

 She jumped off of me and made a dash for my bunk, probably shifting things around to make room for herself. I sighed, turning back to Jaime who had an equally unhappy look spread across his face.

 “So...she’ll be here...”

His voice was more quiet.

 “I guess...”

 “You don’t look happy about it.”

 I twitched at his comment. I wasn’t happy about it, I looked at him. His slow breathing and partially parted lips looked so inviting. I couldn’t believe I was having such urges. Such urges for a guy. Such urges for Jaime...

 “I guess I’m not.”

 I decided I need to get away from him, I had to be losing my mind or something. I got up, pointing to the door.

 “I’ll be back...”

 As I locked the door behind me, I leaned against the bus. This could not be happening, was I...forming a crush on Jaime Preciado?