ten .

September 3, 1943 many after

There was a wracked going on in the kitchen. But, Enoch couldn't care less what was happening in the house anymore, being to focus to distract himself. He had stacks of newly sealed hearts he wanted to store when he saw a familiar black haired fellow. Taking another look he carried the jars.

"Let me help you with those Enoch", Olive said while pouring a cup of tea. "Don't bother wouldn't want to bother the tea party", he made eye contact with the blue eyed kid and walked away.

"Enoch", Olive followed him back to his room. Miss Peregrine had brought
Jake with her outside. They soon made there way around greeting everyone. "You must be Jake, my sister can't stop talking about what happened earlier", Victor got out of the game of soccer between the boys and shook his hand.

"If you're Victor, is there any chance Thomas is around?", Jake was ecstatic to meet the girl he had looked in photos many times. Abe had showed him countless pictures of the peculiar kids including the pair he had of Thomas with the two boys, Victor and Enoch. "She's upstairs", Victor gave him a sad smile while his now pale blue eyes shined and went back to the game. They had continued there rounds.

"Miss Peregrine, there's a policeman at the door. He says it's about the pub" ,one of the children informed the ymybryne. "We will discuss this later, Emma", Miss Peregrine gave a warning look. "It wasn't their fault. Honestly, they were just trying to help.", Jake defended the girl.

"Thanks. You're not as bad as I thought", Emma continued to walk outside with a rope on her shoulder. "She's not really going to kill anyone is she?", Jake couldn't help but continue looking out for the family. "Not if she can talk her way out of it. Would you help me with something. Enoch usually does it but, he is sulking somewhere", Emma stopped in front of a tree. "Is that because if me?", Jake started to feel guilty.

"He's just possessive and things we don't talk about", she finished it off as they did her daily chore.

▪▪▪

The grandson of the friend made his way to his grandfather's old room. He had passed by the number of rooms in the house but one was very leering. On the handle was a string of flowers, lavenders, hanging off. They were slowly withering away. He had his hand on the handle when someone called him out.

"Jake. Come meet Enoch, properly", Olive called him out while she shifted her weight seeing which room he almost entered. He lean boy entered the dim room. Enoch was hovering a table different materials in hand but, a single rose in a vase on the corner of the table seemed it was out of place.

"You must feel pretty out of place", Enoch bluntly said not looking up from his work. "Don't worry. I am used to it", Jake stated back. "I wasn't worried. Some advice for you though. Man to man. First, never enter that room", Enoch wanted to start listing.

"What room", but Jake stopped him. "You wouldn't miss it, the one with lavenders. If I ever find out you enter it I don't mind using your heart for something else. Anyways, if you think you're staying just because you like Emma, don't bother. You see she swore off romance years ago when she got her heart broken. And she's never gonna change her mind. So", Enoch started his lecture.

"Enoch, I wasn't.... What are you doing?", Jake looked down at the boy who was putting hearts into dolls. "Isn't he amazying", Olive said but Enoch didn't felt like it was right. The dolls started to rise and faced in all directions.

"This? Jake this is not even the fun part. Do you want to see the fun part?", he dared then whispered to each doll. Both of them started fighting. "They are like puppets, just do anything I tell them. It is even more fun with people. You should have seen some of the epic battles I used to have at my parent's exequies parlor", Enoch said unfaced as he was bored as one of the dolls pulled out the heart of the other then dropped dead. Jake had ran out of the room and into the attic.

▪▪▪

"Hey what are you doing?", Millard voiced boomed as Jake sat on a chair. "Millard, go and put some clothes on. Polite people do not take the sup in the nude!", Miss Peregrine warned the boy as Jake stood off. "Alright, Alright", Millard went off while the others laughed.

"You can sit here, Jake", Olive referred to the seat between her and Enoch. "Look at Enoch you're gonna blast lazers. And Victor he looks jealous", Horace teased. "You all know why, plus Olive can go marry Jake for all I care", Enoch snapped while Victor nodded.

"Do not be mean, Enoch. She doesn't want to. She's just excited to see a visitor. Nobody is marrying anybody", Miss Peregrine ended the conversation. The conversations around the table continued as Enoch phased out staring at her spot Jake was sitting on.

"Jake, what is your peculiarity", one of them blurted. "Oh. I'm.... I'm not peculiar", Jake scratched the back of his neck. "And that my friends is why he'll not be staying with us. No matter how hard we try to persuade him", Enoch said his beliefs.

"We've spoken about this, Jake is just visiting", Miss Peregrine tried to intervene but the rest of the children attacked Jake with more questions. "Do you want to stay", "Don't you want to stay, Jake. Tonight or Forever.", "You should stay forever"

"Why would he if he doesn't have to? He can live out there. Grow older and have a good time instead. He'll leave. Just like his grandfather did", Emma strapped herself back into her shoes and left the table. "Excuse me", she had tears in her eyes. "That wasn't nice Enoch, she wouldn't want you to be like this!", he got scolded. "Don't you ever talk about her", Enoch left the table hitting Jake's shoulder in the process.