Prologue

We sit at the head table, in front and center for everyone to see us. The last two elite and the prince. Who would he pick? That was the question roaming around the room. I already knew the answer, and I didn't want it to be true.

But no, I had to try. I had to fight. Not just for me, but for our unborn child.

While I was at my dad's funeral in Carolina, I realised I was pregnant. The only other person who knew was Kenna, since she bought me the pregnancy test. I knew there would be a lot of consequences, but I could count on Maxon to stand by me. Well, that isn't guaranteed anymore.

I turn to Maxon and start to beg.

"Maxon, please listen to me. You have to hear me out."

"I don't have to listen to anything you say. You've caused this upon yourself. And this time you just didnt hurt yourself, but you hurt me." He says with such ferocity I've never seen in him. It made me think of his father. I shuddered. No matter what Maxon did, he would never become his dad.

"Just let me explain-"

"No, I'm done letting you explain, then you go back and break my heart again. I'm tired of it. But its okay. Kriss was always the better choice, you just blinded me from that with your lies."

Ouch. That stung. I knew he didn't mean it, he was just hurt, but what he was saying wasn't not true. Kriss was the picture perfect princess. I would never match up next to her.

"Now, if you would excuse me, I would like to confersate with my fiance about some certain arrangements." Maxon then turns toward Kriss, and a big smile grows on his face.

That was meant for me.

"How are you my dear?"

I choke on my tears. That was mine too.

I look around, trying to focus on anything but the love of my life. My eyes catch Celeste. She gives me a quizzical look. She quirks her head toward Maxon. I shake my head. Her face falls, but she mouths, " meet at bathroom afterward." I nod.

I start to look at the beauty of the room, taking in every detail. This could be the last time I'm in the great hall.

Maxon finally clinks his glass with his fork. The room immediately goes to silence. He stands up swiftly.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I have gotten the pleasure to know thirty-five amazing women. But only two really caught my heart." He gestures toward us. "Ladies, if you would."

Me and Kriss stand from the table we were just sitting at and walk to the end of the stage. I breath heavily, trying to calm down. In just a few seconds I lose him from my life. He takes our hands, and turns us so we are facing him. It is so quiet, you could hear a pen drop.

He takes both of Kriss's hand and drops to one knee. Everyone gasps. I suck in air sharply, trying to breath. I feel like I'm going to throw up, and it's NOT morning sickness this time. But still, I keep the smile on my face. I would be happy for Kriss. Even if I have to force myself.

"Kriss, you are smart, kind, loving, and just all around amazing. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?" Maxon says, pulling out his ring box and opening it to show all its beauty.

And it was. The ring was made of gold, that interlaced with diamonds in intricate loops. He must of thought really hard on his design. Wait a second, it would've took some time to get that done. Maxon knows I would never like something like that. Kriss would fancy that more.

Instead of crying, I start to steam up, and get a little angry. I'M playing with his heart, more like he's playing with mine. Did he even plan to marry me? Was I just a little play toy to him? That he could just manipulate me to get what he wanted? Did he think I was easy, and he could get anything he wanted from me? Well, that last one might be true, cause I'm knocked up.

No tears are close to my eyes now. I'm in pure rage. I dont like being played around with like a chew toy. Then why would I let him do this to me?! Now I'm the one who has to worry about a child, and he's off Scott free.

I barely even pay attention to the rest of the proposal. I already knew she would say yes. I look towards Maxon so he can dismiss me from the stage, it's tradition. But no, he gives me a glare, and he walks down the stairs with Kriss, who is clinging to him.

He won't even dismiss me properly. I go down the stairs in quick strides, trying to get out of this place as quick as possible. I don't want to see the sad faces and I don't want people's stupid hugs or sympathy.  Before I walk out, I take Celeste and drag her with me.

We walk fast to the women's bathroom, and lock the door so we can talk.

"What's going on? We both knew you were suppose to be the one." Celeste asks.

I look in the mirror, and wipe my eyes of stray tears. I will not let them have the satisfaction of watching me cry.

"It doesn't matter, it's already been done. I just want to leave this hell place." I say, brushing over me and Aspen. I'll tell her later.

Then a wave of nausea hit me, and I run to the nearest stall, barely making it there before I start to vomit. Celeste pulls my hair back, and pats my back.

"Oh, I forgot to mention," I say in between vomiting. "I'm pregnant."

Celeste gasps, but still holds my hair back. After I'm done I go to the sink and wash my hands. Celeste looks at me expectantly.

"America, if the father is who I think he is, you need to go out there and tell him before it's too-"

"No Celeste, I just figured out if he doesn't need me, I don't need him." I take a wipe and take off my ruined makeup. I take all the pins out of my hair and let it fall loose. I look back I'm the mirror, and see a trace of my old self. "I'm a strong, independent woman. This was just a setback in my life, but I'm going to use it for the greater good."

"But how?"

"They say singing is all about putting what you feel into a song. And if that's true, then l have a lot to say."