Chapter 11

~Maxon's POV~

"Angie, you got a little something on your face." I say, chuckling at Angelina with syrup all over her face. I try to suppress my chuckle.

Angie's face turns red, and she looks around sheepishly. My mom giggles at Angie, while Dad rolls his eyes.

"Proper trained kids would know how to use a napkin." He states loudly. But that doesn't faze Angie. She keeps eating her pancakes messily.

I grab a napkin, reaching over the table to wipe off her messy face. She lets me do it willingly, then goes back to eating her pancakes. I smile at her. Could she get any cuter?

Over the past week, I've really bonded with Angie. She's so adorable, and funny in a toddler way. She's been making me a lot happier, and I think everyone notices. Mother even caught me skipping and humming down the hall earlier this week.

"This child has done miracles on you." Mother had gushed to me. I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Was it that bad?"

"Oh, don't even get me started! You looked like someone had shot your puppy in front of you and sent you the remains of it."

"Okay, okay! I get the point!"

I laugh now, but what she said was true. I was- and maybe still- be depressed. To tell the truth, ever since the selection, I've been in this lethargic state. I can barely function, but I would put up a front when the cameras were there. Me and Kriss would act like the perfect couple. We would kiss, laugh with each other, heck, even flirt! But the minute the cameras are gone, we're back at each other's throats- Well, Kriss is.

I feel someone nudge me underneath the table and look up to see Kriss glaring at me.

"Why are you even giving this child your time of day?" She whispers in a demanding voice. I huff. We had already been over this, and she wasn't the only one who didn't like Angie.

When I discussed Angie with the advisors, they all said had agreed to let her stay. But that wasn't the problem. They wanted Angie to start working in the castle like a maid. They said it would show the people of Illea that the monarchy is caring.

I had snorted at that. Yeah and father was as sweet as candy too. Before they voted on that and sent that poor child to the washroom, I had made a last pitch to have Angie live and be treated like a princess in the castle. They were all appalled, but I convinced them that it would make the monarchy look even better than what they planned. They immediately hopped on that, including father.

But the truth was, it was just something in me- and I don't know what it is- that wants to give Angie everything she wants. It might be those dimples that I poke all the time, her addicting laugh that makes me do a 100 watt smile, or it's how I get so much happiness from seeing her completely happy. It made me think, is this what having a child feels like?

"Because she deserves it and more." I say, smirking. Kriss growls and gets up from her seat. Mother, Father, and Angie all look up confused. I too, look at Kriss weirdly. She has had her fair share of tantrums, but never in front of Mother and Father.

"But I deserve it more!" She yells. On cue, the current maids in the room rush out. Great, that's one less person to see this hot mess excuse of the next queen.

I look away for a second and she goes off even more.

"You're not even paying attention to me now! Look at me for once!  I am your wife, or did you forget thinking about that little skank America! Better yet, that scheming child you brought into this castle!" Angie perks up when she says this. I'm expecting her to burst into tears, but she looks at Kriss, anger in her eyes. Before Angie can say anything, Kriss storms out. I sigh.

This is starting to become a daily thing with this girl.

Mother and father both leave the table, probably trying to leave the tense place. Once they're gone, I look towards Angie, who is looking down and stabbing her pancakes very harshly. I walk towards her chair and squat down. I push the hair that's hanging around her face out the way. She's pouting and I lift up her chin so she can meet my eyes.

I quickly get lost in her cold as ice, blue eyes. They sparkle, ever so lightly, when she shifts in the light. She would be so utterly cute right now, if it wasn't for the look in her eyes rage.

"You know when I said if the princess kissed you when you were a frog and that made you turn into a prince?" She asks, quietly in muttered words. I jod, not knowing where this is going.

"Well, would I be wrong if Kriss was the frog and you kissed her?" She said, and I bust out laughing. I fall on my back, thudding on the floor, but not feeling it, from laughing hard. This child.

I finally get my composure back and sit in the chair next to Angie. She is still looking down. I wrap ar, around her, and pull her close to me.

"I'm sorry Kriss was really rude to you." I state, hoping it ,ales her feel better.

"She's not nice like princess's should be." She says it sharply, crossing her arms and huffing. I rub her shoulder.

"No she isn't. Some people just aren't very kind to people, but you know what we can do?" I ask hoping she catches on. She looks up and her face lights up, a huge smile on her face.

"Yeah, we can put her in the pig yard where she belongs!" She exclaims. Another laugh bubbles up in me. Honestly, who raised this kid?

"No sweetie, were kind to them, even when they're not to us. You saw how Kriss yelled at me?" She nods, intintive.

"I didn't yell back at her, I let her yell and scream at me, and guess what? She left without me having to be rude too." Angie looks at me curious. I give a quirk of my mouth. What's she's thinking about.

Angie breaks her eyes away from me and looks up to the sky,min her own world now. From her body movement, it looks like she's pondering something in her head. Finally she makes a descion I guess, and turns back to me.

"My mom said that my dad was a gentleman, and let her yell at him all the time." She states. I look at her smiling. Sounds like a good man.

"And that's what he should do. He sounds very nice. Is he?" I ask, prying more into her family information. This is the first thing we've gotten about her family, since she didn't open up when we first found her. Now, I'm just listening, trying to take in any information that would be beneficial in the future.

She slumps down when I ask that and her smile is replaced with a slight frown.

"I never met him before. My mom says he would've liked me. She says I have his hair." I embrace her with a hug, Angie squealing the whole time.

"Of course, who wouldn't like an adorable munchkin like you." I say while I kiss her all over her face. She squirms in my grip, giggling and laughing.

"Stop! It tickles!" She exclaims, laughing while saying it." I finally release her, and she is back to her bubbly self again. She goes back to eating her pancakes and I smile contently.

As long as that smile is glued on that girl's face, I will always be complete.

And that's when I knew. I was getting to attached to Angie for my own good.