Chapter 5

~Maxon's POV~

"Maxon, this is all my fault." Kriss says as she buries her face in her hands. I sigh and wrap my arms around her.

"Dont say that, you didn't know."

Me and Kriss had been called an hour before to come to the hospital wing, and that it was urgent. I immediately ran from my office, pausing on doing budgets and statistics.

When I got there, Kriss was excited and jumpy. I was unsure of what was going on, but Kriss was sure it was about her recent checkup, and that it could be a possible pregnancy. Well, it was on the lines of that.

"I-I just can't help thinking i-" Kriss cuts herself off with a sob and I sigh.

"No one knew you were infertile, not even you." I say calmly. I rub her back. "It doesn't matter though, there are other ways to have children."

She yanks herself out of my arms and looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Maxon! I am NOT doing that! It won't be the same." She goes back to crying after that outburst. I roll my eyes, but she's right.

"Kriss could you just calm do-"

"DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN! YOU DONT UNDERSTAND!" She screams at me. That's when I lose it.

"Well, GOSH KRISS! WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO! YOU DONT THINK I WANT CHILDREN TOO!?"

Kriss looks at me with dead, cold eyes.

"Just get out of my face Maxon, I don't want to see you right now." She says harshly. I look at her with the same intensity.

"Well fine, Kriss. Do what you want." I spit out. I don't even wait for a response -I probably wouldn't get one anyway- and head to my room.

Before I get to my room, I'm met by my sweet and angelic mom, but lately, she's been a little cold and distant. Ever since we welcomed Kriss into the Schreave family, she has been more to herself. Probably because She thought I was going to pick America, which was her favorite, and She has no problems pointing it out. I remember just last night what she had said. 

We were talking at dinner, when Kriss brought up the castes.

"I think the caste are a sense of standard for Illea. I've never had a problem with it, so I've never seen the reason to get rid of it." She had stated confidently.

I knew right when she said those words, My mom would go out on a tangent. And like I expected, My mom looked up from her plate and looked at her weirdly. Father, of course, was in agreement with Kriss, but mother was not having any of it.

"May I just say, the castes are a burden for the lower half of the caste system. You may not have had the "joy" of living in poverty, but I would like to believe that as Illea's next queen, you would know more about your people." She said politely. It would've seemed like a simple statement unless you knew mother. Her eyes were ablaze.

Kriss was startled at mom's outburst. She tried to regain her confidence and defend herself, but it was not working.

"I just think that the castes make it clear your social status and make it easy to determine people." I mentally slapped myself in the face. Kriss is not making this better.

"Are you trying to say that because you're a three, you're more important than some very hard working five trying to provide for their family with their measly paycheck?" Kriss gulped.

"Well, I feel like the higher castes contribute more to our country than the lower ones." I sigh. Now she had really screwed up. Mother scoffs.