Chapter 15

~Maxon's POV~

After 4 excruciating hours, the guards finally let us out of the safe rooms, and I race out, wondering where Angie is. I rush to the nearest guard, so I can interrogate him. I can already see him star to to sweat.

"Have you all located Angelina?" I state firmly. The man gulps, probably wanting to withhold he information he does no.

"No, we have currently not found her, but we are already looking for her your highness." He says, shaking a little. I clench my jaw, trying to keep from raging on the soldier.

I am outraged. I knew I shouldn't have went to the safe room, with the guards. I should've went after Angie so she would be sage right now, and I would know where she is. Right now, i want to have no mercy on this dude, but i know it's not his fault.

"I want every well-able soldier and maid searching for her right now. Am I clear?"

"Yes, your highness."

"I don't want any one resting until she is found. Do you understand?" He nods, uneasily.

"I will alert everyone of your request." He says.

"You're dismissed." He bows, and runs off, trying to get away from the wrath of me.

~o0o~

We had been searching for at least two hours now, and she had not come up anywhere. And to top it off, everyone was starting to get a little tired and lazy now.

"Your highness, we've looked everywhere, and we cannot find the girl." A shy maid tells me, stuttering a little.

"Well, let's look a second find. We're not stopping until she's found." I exclaim. The maid sighs, and goes bac, to searching.

I'm about to start looking again, when we are all stopped by a loud, commanding voice.

"Stop." I turn around, to see it is father, mounting down the stairs towards me. No one moves a muscle.

"That's enough. Everyone resume to your regular duties. My son is acting deranged and unrealistic again.' He states calmly. I would protest, but his word outrank mine.

Father walks over to me, eyebrows furrowed at me. I can already hear him in my head. "Stop acting like a child and worrying about this foolishness."

"Maxon, what are you doing. This is the least thing from serious." I look at him bewildered.

"Father, a child is missing. How is that not serious?" I exclaim. Father rolls his eyes at me.

"Oh hush, the child was taking up way too much of your time any way. This will get you back to normal."

But that was it. I didn't want to go back to normal, depressed Maxon. This last month has been amazing. I haven't felt so happy since the selection. And now that I had a taste of true happiness again, I didn't want to go back.

This time, I'm not going to let Father bully and manipulate me into doing what he wants. I did it the first time, and look where that's gotten me now. I lost the love of my life, and now I'm stuck with someone I thought I knew, but I can barely recognize now.

I look up to Father, a new fury in my eyes. He looks at me skeptically, probably not use to me bucking up. He gives me a stern stare, almost as if saying, "Try me if you want to Maxon." And I sure as heck am. I walk up to him, in a tense stance and look down on Father. I had gotten taller than Father a while go, but that didn't stop him from still running me around like a slave. Now, I'm using it to my advantage.

Before I can utter a word, someone comes stumbling down the staircase running fast. Both father and Is' heads turn towards the commotion. A sigh of relief hits me.

Angie. She rushes past everyone, and runs toward me, colliding into my legs. She holds on to them tightly trying not to let go. Ashen comes, shortly behind her, more calmer in his approach. His eyes dart toward me, to Father, and he gulps. What's wrong with him?

"Uh, your majesty. Your Higness." He bows at both of us. Father nods, and Aspen stands back up again.

"I found Angelina in one of the safe rooms we forgot to check. She is okay though. No bruises or scratches." His breath is uneven, and his bright green eyes can't seem to look at one of us for at least  a millisecond. I silently interrogate him with my eyes, commanding him to look at me. He fails to meet my glimpse. Something's off.

Of course, father has no issue, can't even see the uneasiness in the man's stance. He just dismisses him quickly, telling him to end the search. That leaves Angie, Father and I left I the hallway.

I pick Angie up, so she's eye level with me. I kiss her forehead and hug her really tightly. She hugs back too. Father scoffs, and walks away, but he's the least thing from my mind. Angie is my main property.

"Angie, you okay?" I ask gently, and she cuddles into my chest, ignoring my question. I brush some loose hairs that fall into her face.

And before I know it, she's dozed off, and fell asleep. I look helplessly at the ,aids around me, as Angie sleeps on my shoulder. One giggles, and walks to me reaching her hands out.

"I got her." She says, taking Angie from me. Angie fidgets a little bit but doesn't wake up.

"And might I say, you two are SO adorable." She exclaims quietly. I smile sheepishly and blush a little.

"If I were you, I would adopt this little cutiepie. Children like her are a dime a dozen." She says, before leaving. I stand there, a little dazed.

Adopt? Not once had I really thought of doing that. Besides, even if I did want to, Kriss would never allow it.

I scowl at myself. And again, I'm letting Kriss control me, like usual.

But then, a wicked smile crawls across my face. I don't care what Kriss thinks. Let her be mad for all she wants.  That'll really get under her skin. Just the thought of seeing Kriss seething with anger, makes me laugh already.

So, just maybe-maybe- I'll bring up the topic of adopting a certain someone in the business meeting tomorrow. I'm sure it'll make the advisors happy.

And Kriss feeled to the brim with rage.