The first sorting

Jenny had been anxious all day, and when the students finally arrived at Hogwarts, her palms were sweating like mad. She sat on the staff table beside Filius and Pomona. Alec was on the opposite side, and had respected Jenny's request to leave her alone.
The old students entered the Great Hall, and flocked to their house tables, looking nervous to be back at Hogwarts. For the returning students, the last time they were there, was the battle of Hogwarts.
Which is why some students felt umcomfortable coming back.

As the new students followed Hagrid into the room, Jenny tried to look friendly, but strict at the same time, like Minerva. She wasn't sure if she managed it.
Looking away from the students approaching the sorting hat. Jenny began to scan the Griffindor table, searching for familar faces.
Hermione sat inbetween some students Jenny didn't know, and smiled encouragingly, when she saw Jenny staring at her.
Ginny was sitting a few feet away from Hermione, and she gave Jenny a thumbs up, showing her support.
This made Jenny feel more comfortable, so she turned back to the new students, who were being explained the rules of the sorting.

Once Minerva had finished, she began to sort the students, even though she was now the Headmistress. She had decided to do that job, as she always had, despite the fact that she wasn't the Deputy Head anymore.
During the sorting, Jenny clapped loudly, when students were placed in her house. When the sorting hat called out Slytherin, Jenny clapped twice, before stopping. As she was not looking forward to teaching students in Slytherin.
Once everyone has been sorted, Minerva announced the start of the feast, which would take place before her speech.
Jenny was starving, and glad when the food arrived. The house elves that worked at Hogwarts, was just as good as her one at home.

Jenny would miss Sady, as she would only see her every other week, when she came up to clean the house in Hogsmeade. At first Jenny had struggled to cook meals for her and Charlie, as she had always been cooked for.
But after a while she got the hang of it.
When she had finished eating desert, she began to look at all the students, wishing that she had been one of them when she was younger. Not going to Hogwarts had been Jenny's biggest regret.
While looking at the Slytherin table, Jenny noticed some older students, who were in their 8th year, and would finish at Christmas. None of them looked that happy to be back, one pale, blonde boy, looked very solemn indeed.
He looked familar, but Jenny couldn't remember where she had seen him before.

"Filius. Who is that blonde boy on the Slytherin table?" Asked Jenny, pointing at the pale kid.
Flitwick looked at where she was pointing, and sighed.
"That is Draco Malfoy" he answered awkwardly.
Jenny's jaw dropped.
Of course it was.
Looking closer at the boy, she could see Lucius all over his face. He was almost an exact copy of his Death Eater father.
Jenny noticed that some of the other students, were giving him looks, full of pure hatered. Having the Slytherin and Griffindor table so far away from each other, was definately a good thing.
The Griffindor's kept looking over at the Slytherin's, and then whispering to each other.

Once the feast had ended, Minerva cleared the tables with her wand, and stood up to address the students.
Her speech was all about how everyone needed to come together, to help rebuild the school's spirit. She then when on to introduce the new members of staff.
When she reached Jenny, the applause was much louder than it had been for Alec, or the new muggle studies teacher. Most of the clapping came from the Griffindor table.
Even those who she didn't know personally, would have read about her bravery, in the newspapers.
Jenny smiled, and raised her hand, acknowledging the students praise.

When the clapping died down, Minerva continued with her speech, announcing the new Head boy and girl, in the 7th year. Jenny cheered loudly when Ginny's name was mentioned, as she was very proud of her future sister-in-law.
She had allowed Minerva to choose the prefects in Griffindor that year, as she didn't know the students well enough to choose herself.
After Minerva's speech, the students began to exit the Great Hall, with the new students following their house prefects.

Once the hall had finally been cleared of students, Jenny let out a sigh of relief.
"Well done everyone. I think that went very well" said Minerva encouragingly.
Jenny and the other teachers smiled at the praise.
"Now, I suggest you all get a good nights sleep. We have a very busy tomorrow" she continued.
As Jenny turned to leave, Minerva caught her arm, and pulled her to the side.
"The Griffindor Password, is currently Harry Potter" whispered Minerva.
Jenny raised an eyebrow sceptically.
"Really?" She questioned.
Minerva smiled and nodded. "Yes. That is what the Fat Lady has decided to start off with. It will probably change in a few weeks, so be sure to keep on top of all the new passwords".
"Will do. Thank you".

As Jenny reached the back door in the Great Hall, she was stopped once again.
"How come your applause was so big?" Quizzed Alec.
Jenny frowned at him. "I thought I told you to stay away from me".
"You said I couldn't flirt with you anymore. And last time I checked, asking a question wasn't flirting"
"Well, I don't know why my applause was bigger. If I took an educated guess, I would say it was because most of the kids already know my name. After the battle, I was in the papers a lot. I'm kind of a war hero"
"Wow"
"Whatever. Now, if you don't mind, I would like to get back to my room, and finish my planning for tomorrow".

Alec shrugged and took a step back, allowing Jenny to leave easily. Jenny sighed and shook her head, as she passed him. She had no idea how she was going to cope with him buzzing around her all year.
However, as she didn't really have any friends, Jenny wasn't in a position to turn down attention from someone who wanted to get to know her.