Girly talk

Jenny sat in her office, opposite Hermione Granger, who had just finished her Defense Against the Dark Arts practical exam.
The meeting was more relaxed than it shouldv'e been. But Jenny and Hermione were old friends.
"Are you going to miss this place?" Jenny asked, sipping her tea.
"Yes. However, as I only came back for a few months, it doesn't really feel like I came back at all. Especially since Harry and Ron didn't come back with me. It is strange being here without them" Hermione answered.
"I expect you found the final exam easy, compared to dueling Death Eaters"
"It wasn't easy. But I certainly didn't struggle, not in this subject anyway. Some lessons that shouldv'e taken a years worth of learning, were harder to cram into a couple of months. But Defense Against the Dark Arts is quite a practical subject anyway, which made it easier to remember".

"I expect Harry would have got an Outstanding in my subject if he had come back to school" admitted Jenny.
"I agree. I think Ron would have done well as well, if he'd have come back" replied Hermione.
"How is dating my future brother in law?" Quizzed Jenny.
Hermione blushed bright red.
"It's fine thank you. We are taking things slow" she answered.
Jenny smiled. "That's good... I always knew that you two would end up together".
"How?"
"Because you both love each other. You may have both dated other people. But deep down, you were meant to be together".

"Now. What are your plans for when you leave? I think that is what I was supposed to be asking you in this meeting" continued Jenny.
Hermione smiled. "I was hesitant about you being a teacher at first. But you proved me wrong. I think you are a great teacher".
"Thanks Miss Granger"
"You're welcome, Miss Potter"
"Ha, O.K truce... Did you consider joining Harry and Ron in the Auror Department?"
"I recieved a letter from them. But that was never my calling. I think I want to work at the Ministry, and do some good for the world"
"So noble".

"You recieved a letter from the Auror office as well, didn't you?" Quizzed Hermione.
Jenny gulped down the remainder of her tea, and nodded.
"Yeah. I did... Charlie burned the letter when I told him about it" answered Jenny.
"I think you made the right choice. Teaching definately suits you"
"Thanks Hermione. I did want to go back to doing what I enjoyed. But Charlie and Harry convinced me to be a teacher instead. Certainly a lot safer"
"I never thought you'd be one to turn down adventure. You always seemed to enjoy getting into a fight"
"Choosing the safe option doesn't mean that I have a less courage. I could still get into a fight if I wanted to"
"I know. That's not what I meant. I was just trying to say that you aren't as violent as you used to be".

"I remember when you used to be afraid of me" reminded Jenny.
"I was never scared of you" countered Hermione.
"Yes you were. You refused to sit near me that time in the Three Broomsticks. You were scared that I was going to hex you, or something like that"
"Well, Harry had said the last time he saw you, you nearly killed someone, so I was just being cautious"
"That someone was a Death Eater. And he interupted my quiet drink with my nephew. He wanted to kill me, and he wouldv'e murdered everyone in that pub, to get to me, if he had to. Besides, I didn't kill him, and he ended up escaping from the Aurors later that day. So maybe I shouldv'e killed him".

Hermione's eyes widened in shock.
"I'm just kidding. Merlin's beard, learn to take a joke. I was just messing with you" continued Jenny.
Hermione sighed deeply. "Maybe you haven't changed at all".
Jenny looked serious. "Yes. Yes, I have changed. Losing the other Marauders really took its toll on me. I'm not the same person you met all those years ago, in that hospital bed".
"That was only about three years ago"
"Really? It feels like much longer. I feel like I've suffered enough for a life time, in the last few years"
"I agree. You and Harry have suffered so much".

Jenny glanced to the clock on her wall and sighed.
"It's late. You'd better get back to Griffindor tower" she suggested.
Hermione nodded, and rose out of her chair.
"Goodbye Professor" Hermione muttered, as she made her way towards the door.
"Yeah. Goodbye Granger. I hope you do well in the rest of your exams" replied Jenny.
"Thank you"
"You're welcome"
"You passed all of your exams didn't you?"
"My NEWTS? Yes, I did. But don't worry, I'm sure you will do just as well".
Hermione smiled greatfully, and exited the office, closing the door quietly behind herself.