10 - i trust you

"Hey."

"Hi."

"How was school today? Was it good?"

"Yeah—yeah it was...oddly great."

"Is it because you made quarterback again?"

"Dude I am so happy about that. Coach saw how hard I've been working these past few days—hold on. How did you know that?"

"I mean I figured that's why you called."

"But we call almost every day. There's no way you could have known that unless I said something first."

"Well..."

"You go to Newvale don't you?"

"Do I?"

"And you know who I am."

"Maybe."

"Do I know you? I-I mean have we met before?"

"Yup."

"Who are you Audrey? I feel like I would recognize you in person."

"I'm not someone you'd want to know other than over the phone."

"How come?"

"Because over the phone I'm more myself. I can be carefree and sarcastic without you or anyone else judging me. In person I'm this little ball of anxiety, waiting to erupt from stress and self doubt."

"Why would you doubt yourself? You sound like such an amazing person. I can't believe everyone wouldn't want to be your friend."

"It would take too long to explain everything so I'll give you the short version. I'm bullied on a daily. My father is a dead beat drug addict. My mom's struggling with money—and she's working three jobs. The guy that I thought loved me broke my heart then cheated on me with the schools fucking head cheerleader, who is way prettier than I am. My grades—I don't know how they're still intact. But everyday I have to wake up and constantly relive an agenda of worries, which is too much for a seventeen year old girl to carry on her shoulders. So doubting myself is pretty much automatic."

"I—I uh I don't..."

"It's ok. You don't need to say anything."

"But it's not Audrey and yes I do. I thought you were this girl that was rock solid and could handle anything that was thrown at her. You want everyone to think that. But in reality you're just like everyone else."

"Is that a compliment or...?"

"You don't have to keep all of this bottled up. There's people willing to stand beside you and share your pain—your struggles."

"Yeah? Like who?"

"Your mom. Your brother...and me."

"You?"

"...yeah. Y-Yeah me. And that won't change, no matter how much of a difficult pain in the butt you are."

"Awe thanks."

"I mean it."

"..."

"..."

"I...I trust you. It sounds crazy but...I do."

"I'm glad. Now are you gonna teach me marvel or what?"