13 - partner in crime

"Are you feeling ok?"

"Yeah why wouldn't I?"

"Well uh...is there anything you want to talk about?"

"No?"

"Are you sure?"

"Why are you acting so weird?"

"I'm not acting weird—why are you acting weird?"

"I'm not."

"Mhm."

"Ok seriously, what's up?"

"Oh nothing..."

"August."

"Ugh, umm..well, you called me yesterday."

"Yes, I'm well aware of that."

"No, I mean like, you called me again."

"No I didn't."

"Yes you did."

"I'm pretty sure I would remember if I called you, especially if it was twice in one day."

"Not unless it was a butt dial..."

"A butt dial?"

"Yeah..."

"What'd you hear? I didn't really do much after we stopped talking."

"What about around oh I don't know...nine maybe ten O'clock?"

"I wasn't...oh. Oh no."

"I didn't know if I was suppose to hang up or not, I'm sorry."

"So you heard everything?"

"Yeah, I-I did. You know, you don't deserve what happened to you."

"I don't know about that..."

"It's not like you cheated on him. But what's this secret that keeps circling back around?"

"W-What secret?"

"When you first called me thinking it was that asshole, you said that he ended things when you told him something. Then the same thing last night. What's so bad that he decided to leave?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Why not?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Because I don't want you, the only person besides my mom and brother, to leave me. I actually like being friends with you and if I'm being honest, you're my only one. Might have already mentioned that but oh well. If you knew, you'd run away too."

"Is that really what you think? That I'd do something like that?"

"I can't be too sure. That's why Courtney left me, why Danny left. Whose to say you won't leave too?"

"I would never leave you, Auddie. You're literally like one of my only friends. Hard to believe, I know, but everyone else at Newvale are stuck up. They are the kind of people to talk behind your back. But I know you would never do that. You're the kind of person that is loyal no matter what and doesn't put up with other people's shit—except for mine. I still don't know how you do that."

"It's hard, trust me."

"But still. If I found out you killed someone and needed help hiding the body, I'd be that other person bringing shovels and garbage bags. Whoever the guy or girl was, they probably deserved it. See what I mean?"

"You'd be my partner in crime?"

"Hell yeah."

"You're really something, August. But, I'm not ready to tell you yet. When I am, I'll let you know."

"That's fine with me. Don't feel pressured or anything just...take it at your own pace."

"Thanks...Auggie."

"Awe, a nickname for me too?"

"It's only fair."

"Well, I don't really hate it."

"Good, because that's your new contact name."