Anxiety

Anxiety is very tricky to handle. It feels as if everyone and everything is attacking you all at once. It can either be caused from some kind of event, or randomly developed as you grow up. Anxiety is often overlooked by people and is often passed as being "cowardly" or "attention seeking". Fortunately, I've come up with quite a few methods with how to cope with anxiety or even for whenever you're just feeling slightly nervous. Everyone's anxiety is different so switching the methods up to work to your type is definitely encouraged. 

Coping method 1.) Steady your breathing. If you feel like you're getting really anxious or if an attack is coming then you should definitely try to take slow and deep breaths. Try breathing on counts of 4. 

Inhale 2 3 4 Hold 2 3 4 Exhale 2 3 4 and repeat. 

When you get anxious and nervous, your heart may begin to beat rapidly and you may have trouble breathing. If you can, try to steady your breathing throughout the day to get use to breathing on counts of 4. This breathing method also helps when trying to go to sleep.

Coping method 2.) Surround yourself with calming things. Maybe take a bath and put on some soft piano music. Light a candle and read a book. Curl up with a teddy bear or someone you're close to and drink some tea. Have someone give you a massage and put on nice smelling lotion. Whatever you find most calming and comforting, do it. Just do whatever it is you need to do in order to relax. If you are in a place where you're uncomfortable and you feel anxious, try putting in earbuds and listen to music that calms you while doing breathing exercises. Wearing a bracelet or elastic around your wrist can give your hands something to fidget with when you're anxious. Stress balls too.

Coping method 3.) Try eating and drinking right. Drink water to hydrate yourself and tea to calm yourself. Try not to consume too much sugar and caffeine. If you're feeling anxious, try eating fresh fruits and vegetables. That double chocolate muffin and that energy drink may be delicious, but it's only going to put more sugar in you and cause your heart to beat faster, triggering your anxiety. If you really realllllyyy want to have sugary or caffeinated prouducts, make sure you drink more water afterwards. If you are craving something sweet, have some fruit. Craving something salty? Try different kinds of nuts. Taking vitamins is also the way to go! 

Coping method 4.) Light exercise may be just what you need. No I don't mean heAVY DUTY CARDIO I mean doing yoga and taking a walk outside. I definitely recommend taking a walk outside and breathing in the fresh air. Go outside and draw with chalk or blow bubbles. Take off your shoes and feel the grass beneath your toes. Admire the trees and the clouds. By doing this, you're taking your mind off of your stress and worries and are paying attention to your surroundings. Heck, get a sketchbook and draw the scenery. Write down what you're seeing. Describe the looks of what you're seeing. 

Coping method 5.) Focusing on other things. Like I said before, try to take your mind off of your worries by distracting yourself with other things. Try journaling. Start off the day by writing down what you'd like to accomplish. It doesn't have to be big things like "WIN THE LOTTERY LOL" it can just be simple things like "Call Auntie Barb" or "Water the plants". And throughout the day write down all of the things you have accomplished. Write down all of your little victories and achievements of the day. Write down any little quotes you heard or any songs you listened to. Just focus on the little things. And whenever you're feeling stressed, open up to a random page of your journal and read about the little things. Read about how you won a plushie from a crane machine on January 7th. Read about how you got a A+ on your English test last semester. Read all the quotes you wrote down. You can also try coloring in coloring books if you don't like journaling. Or even photography. 

Coping method 6.)Talk to someone. Do you have someone who you trust? Someone who understands you? Try talking to them about your worries. Ask them to tell you a story. Just talk. Don't feel afraid that you're bothering them or that they don't care. Heck, come talk to me. I love talking to people and will never see you as a bother. If you feel you can't trust anyone you know, you can try a guidance counselor or therapist or simply talk to people online. Once you've talked and ranted, you'll feel better knowing that you've opened up to someone you can trust or even to someone going through the same thing as you. 

Anxiety is hard to overcome so don't ever feel that you're weak because of it. Also, remember that everyone's anxiety is different and everyone copes differently. You are a beautiful person regardless of your anxiety. We'll get through this together. I believe in you. Everything will be okay.