Improving Self Image

Method 1: Do things that make you happy. Did Sasha from cosmetology class say you're a terrible dancer? It's not her happiness and thoughts you need to satisfy, it's yours. If you love to dance, then dance. If you like to knit, then knit. Audition for the school play if that's what makes you happy. Start volunteering at the animal shelter if that's what makes you happy. Try not to worry about what others think or what others want you to do. If your friends hate people who dye their hair and you secretly want to, then do it. It's your happiness, not theirs. By doing things that you want to do and providing yourself with things to make you happy, you'll feel more content and comfortable. You'll feel more confident because you know you're living your best life.

Method 2: Don't focus on what other people look like. Have you ever been content with the way you looked, but it immediately changed when you realized that you didn't look the way everyone else did? Don't change your body for your significant other or change your style for your friends. If you want to look goth, then look goth. If you want to straighten your hair, then straighten your hair. If everyone is doing one thing but you'd love to do something else, then do that something else. You don't need to look like the models on the fronts of the magazines. Heck, the models themselves don't even look like themselves on the magazines. Do things for you. If your goal is to get muscular and strong, then do whatever it takes to reach your goal. Just don't try to do things that you hate and don't let other people's opinions affect you. 

Method 3: Surround yourself with good people and support. Dump that boyfriend of yours if he continues to make fun of the way you look. Tell your mother that her criticism on the way you dress affects you and makes you sad. Speak up, Hun. I understand that it may be difficult, but sometimes it's for the best.

Method 4: Practice basic self care. Start a new skin care routine, wash your body daily, eat less junk food, etc. How can you learn to love yourself if you never care for yourself first. Go to counseling or therapy if you're able to and need to. Take a day off of school/work if you haven't slept or if you're extremely stressed. Don't skip meals, go on walks or some other active activity, take breaks from your electronics, drink water, etc. The simplest things are sometimes the most important things.

Method 5: Remember that things take time. You can't learn to love yourself overnight. You can't just suddenly become healthier and happier by snapping your fingers. It takes time and effort. Think of it this way: By putting a seed in the ground, you expect it to grow into a plant. But first, you must care for it and water it, fertilize it, etc. The seed doesn't grow into whatever plant overnight. It takes time and by taking care of it and providing it with the things it needs, it will grow into a beautiful, strong, and healthy plant. 

Moral of that, be patient and understand that these things take time. It's hard, I know, but sometimes we have to put work into things in order to achieve our goals. I want each and every one of you to become the best you and the happiest you. I want you to be able to look into a mirror and say "Damn that is one wonderful person. They are beautiful, confident, strong, and happy and screw whoever says otherwise." 

Good luck! I believe in you. I wish you the best. 

Inspiring quotes

"Is fat really the worst thing a human being can be? Is fat worse than vindictive, jealous, shallow, vain, boring, evil, or cruel? Not to me."

- J.K. Rowling 

"Don't you dare shrink yourself for someone else's comfort- Do not become small for someone who refuses to grow."

- Unknown 

"You've been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn't worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens."

- Louise Hay

"I forget how to love myself most days, but I keep trying. I keep trying and that alone is a victory."

- Alison Malee