Chapter 1

Chapter 1:
I ran fast, my brown hair bounced off my hoodie, hiding my tan shoulders. Tammy was waiting for me just around the corner. We were gonna need to work fast. I ran as fast as I could in my worn white converse shoes with Joey and Stacy chasing after me. I wasn't going back. They were driving their new car, So I was gonna get hit if I didn't move. I looked over to the spec of blonde where Tammy stood and grinned. I wasn't gonna be fast enough. Time for plan B.    Tammy raced toward us and threw the little pack onto the hood of the car. The spark burnt to its end, then boom. The windshield cracked from the power of the fireworks sparks. I high fived Tammy and we turned the corner barreling towards Richard's house, as joey and Stacy pulled over and stared after us, anger evident on their faces.
There it was, the last obstacle blocking our path. I walked past the officers car, with my hands knotted like a pretzel in my hoodie pocket. I got to the end of the road and signalled for Tammy. She bolted past before the officer even blinked. We were headed to the Scott's next. Me and Tammy had been friends for a while, we always got into trouble, but this was definitely at the top of the list. I had been stuck with the Parkers for the past two years, but Tammy had been with them for five years then when I got there, they dumped her illegally and said she ran away. Not really wanting to come back, Tammy actually ran away. Back then they had at least cared enough to act like they loved me. But the show was over and they were done acting. But luckily Tammy met me in school. She had snuck in every day for three months to get food. Until the parkers had caught her, they told her they wouldn't tell the police, if she left. Long story short she didn't listen and they had no evidence. So that's when my 'parents' pulled me out of school, trying to seperate me and Tammy. So here I was running away from my crazy foster parents with my sorta sister to rescue Richard Scott. Richard was fifteen, he has shaggy black hair and dark tan skin from working outside in the corn fields. He's a year older than me and Tammy, and he lives with Jenna and shon Scott. But like me and Tammy's foster parents, they weren't very good at parenting in the the long run. He had been there for almost eight years. They had been kind and nuturing parents for the first three years, but they slowly cared less and less. Now it was barely even there. They fortunately gave him at least a meal every couple days, so he didn't starve. Me and Tammy sprinted to Ricky's house, not knowing if the Parkers were out looking. We ran up to the porch and the door opened almost immediately.
"Hey guys!" Ricky said.
I let out a breathe. If Jenna had answered the door it would have all been over. Jenna was friends with the Parkers so she would probably know about my great escape any minute now. Once I realised that, I snapped out of my trance. "Listen Ricky. We're leaving. Now. Are you coming or not? Your mom's probably gonna get a call any minute now. So we gotta hurry."
"Where are we going?" He asked.
"Anywhere but here!"
'Ringggg, ringggg, ringggggg', the kitchen phone rang. "Hello?"
Fear rushed through me. Jenna was not the nicest person when she was angry.
"Yes!" He said in a rush.
"We'll be waiting, shut the door!"
He shut the door and we ran to the side of the house just in time. I looked back through the bushes and saw Jenna at the door, phone in hand searching for me. "Nyxie!" She yelled. We ducked down and she opened the door.
"I don't see her Stacy."
"Caught you!" She yelled running over to our hiding spot behind the bush.
"So your the one who's been eating my food!", Jenna yelled, swinging Tammy wildly by her shirt. I hadn't even noticed we had hid behind Mrs.Scotts half dead blue berry bushes. She was surprisingly strong. I crouched down lower, she hadn't noticed me yet. Tammy's eyes got wide, she glanced down at me, then quickly looked back up to Jenna.
Jenna hung up the phone and focused on Tammy. "What's your name?!" Jenna said. Glaring at Tammy. Then Tammy, as red as an apple, put use to her three years of education. "Tha' names Dolly", Tammy Lied, adopting a heavy accent. Jenna's eyes narrowed.
"Haven't I seen you before?"
"Problee' not ma'am. I just moved here. I live down tha' road."
Tammy said pointing down the dirt road to the string of tiny shacks. Jenna's interest was lost and she dropped Tammy down into the grass. Then she pulled out a Crisp five dollar bill. "If you see a young girl with brown hair and a red hoodie tell her my son needs to talk to her, and bring her here. Ok?"
Ok, Tammy agreed, taking the bill out of her hand. Jenna snickered and wiped her hands on her long white apron.
"And wash your hands," Jenna said shutting the screen door.
Tammy's happiness was evident as she stuffed her earnings into her overalls pocket and adjusted her shirt. Then we waited for Richard. Uneventfully. Where was he? Me and Tammy decided maybe he was going out the back door, so we walked around the little trailer and saw Richard through his bedroom window. He was stuffing all his belongings into an old back pack. He looked up and grinned. He gave us the thumbs up and closed his makeshift paper curtains. The back door creaked open and and Richard was halfway out the door when his father called out. "Brat! You better be back by dinner, or you can stay outside tonight!" The slightest trace of unsureness was erased from Ricky's face as he slammed the door. That was where our journey began.

***tap the star if you liked it! You wouldn't believe how much a star motivated me!!