Chapter 11

That night we all slept hard. We invited Azalea to stay with us, so she made a pallet with blankets and fell asleep before I was even done making mine. I decided I would sleep on the ground by the door, in case it opened, I would know.
*********
The next morning when I woke up the sun was high in the sky as I looked through the window. I looked around me, everyone else was asleep in the same places as the night before. I slowly pulled myself up from the floor and stretched, as the floor creaked. I was also in the same place, which meant no one had come in or gone out. I pulled on my shoes and backed out of the room quietly. I thought about leaving a sign that I was just going for a walk, but I thought I would be back before anyone woke up. I walked down the hallway and out of the doors, thrilled to have freedom. My own freedom of course. No adults, no friends, no strange men, or random teenage boys. Just me and my freedom. I took a deep breathe and made my way to a store I hadn't noticed when I first arrived. There were lots of clothes and shoes of all sizes and colors. I still found it a little odd that most of the stuff in the shops was in decent condition, but it was probably just me being paranoid. After looking around I found some loose mid thigh black shorts and a plain dark red shirt. I changed in the corner of the room, not needing privacy because nothing was around here. I slid into my shirt and pulled on my shorts, tucking my shirt into my shorts and tying the belt around my waist. Ah, freedom. It tasted like.. well... dirt. But oh well. I marched out of the hot shop in my new, cleanish clothes. I found another shop with WORKING water in a sink in a back room. I flipped my head over and let my hair soak up the water. I couldn't find any soap so I just rubbed the dirt out of my hair and shook it out like a dog to dry it. When I flipped my head back my hair was still a little wet and heavy. I should probably cut my hair soon. I brushed my hair out with my fingers and shook it out one more time for good measure. After wondering around the old shop, and not finding anything, I left.
Outside it was getting hot, as far as I knew everyone else was asleep, and I was bored, so bring the smart person I am, I decided to go into the woods again. Because the last time went SO well. I made my way across the little town and into the woods. It was silent, being hot, not even birds were out. Completely silent, and in my experience so far, silence was never a good thing. It either meant something very bad was about to happen, or someone was about to try and scare me. I stopped in my tracks and spun slowly in a circle. No one. Nothing. I shrugged to myself and kept walking. I decided it would be another smart idea to find Azaleas Ferris wheel, and now what an odd thing to have in such a place like this. The middle of nowhere. A small town. Destined from the beginning to turn into a ghost town. Who thought it would be a good idea to build a Ferris wheel? Eventually, after many wrong turns, and many scrapes and scratches, I finally found it. It looked the same as it usually did. Huge. Yellow. Old. I walked towards it, taking my time, and studied it.
Honestly, it didn't look very old.
Then, I REALLY don't know why, I thought it was a WONDERFUL idea to climb up to the very top. This was the worst idea id had so far, but I went along with it. That was my problem, the rest of me just kinda followed my brain. Oh how stupid my brain could be. Once I reached the Ferris wheel, I dug my foot into the ladder like structure and started climbing. Up, up, and up. No other way to go. I didn't look down, I didn't want to. Even when I reached the top, at least 50 ft off the ground, I didn't look down. I was Nyxie Pyro. I wasn't supposed to be scared of anything, but alone in a Ferris wheel cart can do things to your head. I thought about it and figured it out. My fear. I, Nyxie Pyro, was afraid to look back. I didn't like thinking about the past, my childhood, or my memories. I wanted to think about the now, and that's all I was thinking about when it happened.
everything seemed to get even more silent that silent.
Out of nowhere I realized it was a terrible idea to go for a walk. Freedom had, at that time, felt like a terrible thing. In the silence, even after telling myself not too, I looked over the edge of the cart and down. The man. He stood, smiling up at me from his lazy stance on the ground. I couldn't figure him out. If it wasn't for his expression he almost looked normal. It was as if two people were in his head, one in control of his body, the other in control of his voice, and the look in his eyes. Then, a laugh bubble up from his throat. Not a pleasant one. A laugh that broke the silence like the sound of a gun, a sound that echoed in my head like a million shards of glass falling onto tile. I screamed then. I screamed like I'd never screamed before. Twice that day, was I, Nyxie Pyro letting out a side I hadn't known was there.
My scream seemed to motivate his laughter, he almost fell over with laughter. I Alamo's lagged at the terror and absurdity of it. This man was crazy and unpredictable and I was 50 ft in the air above him.
"Give it back!" The man screeched and yelled, and the sound seemed to echo out, and come back like a boomerang. Attacking my head like hundreds of share of glass. Then I was out.