twelve

⁀➷

⁀➷

"BILL!" Paisley worriedly exclaimed as she dodged an Avada Kedavra spell.

Soon after, she was hit by a Crucio. Paisley screamed in pain and collapsed to the ground. She drew her wand and thought Confringo. Her opponent exploded into bits and she cringed at the pieces of his body that splattered over her face.

"BILL, BILL! Wake up, please, Bill! Not right now, Bill. Not right now," she whispered.

The Death Mark bloomed over their heads and Paisley's tear-glazed eyes shined brightly in the glow of the mark.

✹ .
. ✹ ☽
☽ . .

"Are you all right, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"I'm fine. How's Bill?"

Nobody answered. Harry looked over Hermione's shoulder and saw Bill. His face was almost unrecognizable. It was slashed and ripped so badly that he looked grotesque. Madam Pomfrey was dabbing his wounds with a harsh-smelling ointment.

"Can't you fix them with a charm or something?" Harry asked.

"No charm will work on these. I've tried everything I know, but there is no cure for werewolf bites," Madam Pomfrey said.

"But he wasn't bitten at the full moon," Ron said. "Greyback hadn't transformed, so surely Bill won't be a - a real - "

"No, I don't think that Bill will be a true werewolf, but that does not mean that there won't be some contamination. Those are cursed wounds. They are unlikely ever to heal fully and Bill might have some wolffish characteristics from now on," Remus confirmed.

Molly and Arthur barged into the room. As soon as Molly set eyes on Bill, she rushed over to him.

"Oh - Bill!"

"You said Greyback attacked him?" Arthur asked Professor McGonagall. "But he hadn't transformed? So what does that mean? What will happen to Bill?"

"We don't yet know."

"There will probably be some contamination, Arthur," Remus said. "It is an odd case, possibly unique... We don't know what his behavior might be like when he awakens."

"And Dumbledore..." Arthur trailed off. "Minerva, is it true? Is he really...?"

Professor McGonagall nodded.