Chapter Fifty-one

Dylan's POV

She came in with a straight back and strong gaze. Her cerulean eyes fixed onto mine and she sighed in relief, coming in to hug me. Then she realised she was still handcuffed and held out her hands to the officer behind her. It was the douche from earlier.

"You get ten minutes." He said to both of us, taking off the cuffs before closing the door behind him.

I eyed the door where he'd left in distaste before being caught in my mother's embrace. She felt like my mom again, hugging me fiercely like I remembered from my childhood. I couldn't remember exactly when hugs like these had stopped, suddenly replaced by 'Dylan don't' and 'listen to your father'.

"I'm so sorry." The first thing that she said was the last thing I wanted to hear. It was her apology for not listening to me for so long. It didn't matter anymore now that she had listened when it mattered. She didn't see the pictures like I had. No one had told her that Liam was murdered by dad except me. And she believed me. I didn't realise how much I'd missed her until this hug, that filled all the gaps it could and mended places I didn't know was torn.

"You don't have to be, mom." I squeezed her in return. Her body shook just a little, telling me she was crying. "You don't have to apologize."

But she didn't stop crying. They came harder and when she pulled back her eyes were rimmed red. She only said one word. "Liam!"
I pulled her back in and cried with her. And the tears healed too.

We were still clinging to each other when a knock sounded at the door.

"Five more minutes," I snapped and the officer rushed away when he saw our tears. "They're taking you in?" I asked her when the tears slowed.

She gave me a wry smile and shrug. "They have a video with me admitting to knowledge about a drug trade. And let's not forget honey that I shot your father." She laughed and shook her head, "They have to put me away."

"Can we at least do something? Fight it? I don't know, we can get a lawyer..."

"I plan to," She assured me. "I also plan to plead guilty." Her eyes were strong through the tears this time, "I'll make it. Prison is nothing compared to that man that I lived with. He loved me you know? But Nelson always hurt the things he loved most. Me, Liam, even you." When I seemed confused she said, "Yes, Dylan. He loved you too, in his own way. It's why I killed him."

I smiled at that and she returned it as the officer came back. This time it was douchebag again. He jangled the handcuffs, "Fresh out of your porcelain, but we do have some shiny bracelets."

My mother sighed at his attempt at humour. "Come visit me. I want to be a mother again."

"I will. You are."

"And don't you dare marry that girl, my gay son," She said sternly. "I want you to be happy, not with a loser like this one either," She nudged the officer who shot her a dark look. "Can you promise me that?"

I was laughing through new tears, "I'll do my best mom."

"Good. And at least get me a Serta mattress in jail, I do not sleep on cardboard. I love you!" The last of her words were cut off by the door but I knew what she said anyway.

That was it. I'm the last Ryman in the game. Did that mean I win I prize? I didn't feel like a winner. I felt pretty fucking tired when I finally got out of that place. The last officer kindly informed me that I had a father to bury. It took everything in me to not reply that he would rot wherever the body was being held.

When I woke again it was to a dog barking. Everything felt fuzzy and bright when I opened my eyes and I checked the time. After collapsing as soon as I reached home at around nine I'd clocked a whole twelve hours of sleep. I couldn't help but revel in the stillness of the house for a moment, finally feeling at peace with it.

Then I was online. I shopped for new stuff on my phone while I brought Spotty inside and fed him in the corner.

"What d'ya think boy? The blue one, or the red one?" I say to him and he tilted his head to the side. I imagined him telling me that he was a dog and didn't care. "I agree boy," I ruffle his hair and he goes bananas, "Both of them! Let's get a whole fucking rainbow of drapes."

By mid-afternoon with the help of my housekeeper, the windows advertised gay pride and I'd installed new wall art and replaced several rugs for more brightly coloured stuff. The house finally felt like home.

Beatrice probably thought I was insane I was sure but she went along with it, never saying a word of condolence about my father. I made a note to give her a raise. And to sack my security, who the heck needed that anyway? The burglar can have anything except my drapes. I'd fucking fight for those things.

Alyssa called later that day to fake complain about being left before the wedding day, thus ruining her dramatic plans of choosing some sexy foreigner named Fernando at the altar. Her father was pretty pissed but left the country for awhile to wait out the heat of being affiliated with a drug lord. He won't be back for a few years at least if he ever revisits Tennessee.

I did everything except respond to the single text message from Andy inquiring if I was okay. I still didn't know what answer to give him, so instead I gave him silence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OKAY! Now or never. Comment your every OTP from this book :) Even if it's strange and seems outta the way. It'll amuse me hehe.

-Ender Xen