Chapter Fifty-three

Dylan's POV

I'd bought the plot that was furthest away from Liam in the cemetery, not being able to bear the thought of my father's body being close to Liam's grave. Especially since I visited Liam so often. I wanted to forget the man as soon as I could, and getting him in the ground was the quickest route.

No priest said prayers for him as the plain brown coffin was lowered into the ground. There was nothing religious about this. He wasn't being laid to rest, he was being put out of sight. If they had allowed me in this cemetery I would've left his grave unmarked. As it was, his gravestone bore simply his name, date of birth and date of death. The makers were all out of good riddance, gravestones.

It didn't rain today, and I took it as a sign of peace. I would be just fine when this was all over. Close to me and on my right, Andy took my hand in his and stroked his thumb down my palm. He didn't even seem aware of the gesture until I stiffened at the contact and he pulled away again. Louisa snorted from across the cemetery, where Bree held onto Spotty beside her.

"Spotty missed you," I said instead of I missed you. That admission would've felt too much like weakness, like I would be accepting more than I knew.

Andy looked back at the dog who truly enough had been straining against the leash to get to him. "Yeah? Maybe I could visit him sometime?"

Fuck. His tone was more hopeful that a kid in a candy store. I found myself nodding stupidly. "Yeah. He'd like that." I turned and started walking in the opposite direction while the guys started to move dirt to cover the coffin. "I want you to meet someone." I indicated that he should follow then waved at Louisa and Bree.

I'd never come here with someone before. It was always something I held sacred, visiting my brother. Only on very hectic days I would have Louisa send the flowers to the grave rather than visiting myself. But today felt right. And Andy had earned this much for everything he'd done.

The walk to Liam's grave took quite a while, but we passed it in silence, observing the other graves solemnly. I think it was the longest Andy's face had ever gone without a smile on it. When I saw Liam's massive gravestone protruding from the earth I walked with a spring in my step, presenting the spot with pizazz. "Liam, Andy. Andy, Liam."

"I'd heard everything about you, Liam." He played along smoothly.
"Only the good stuff," I reassured the stone, feeling warmth bloom in my chest before I sobered up. "It's done, big bro. I got him into the dirt today, just like you would've done. I wasn't the good one, but... I think you wouldn't be upset with my choice."

"He would've been proud," Andy's voice came with the kind of fierce protectiveness that I'd come to expect from him. "He knew who you were. And he loved you for it..." Andy began to trail off. "Just like I love you."

Oh Andy. He looked like he had so much more to say but couldn't. I looked back into his liquid gold eyes, set off stunningly by a black suit I'd hadn't picked out. He'd done pretty fucking well buying it all on his own. This was the man willing to fight for me. Even against all odds, and he stood two feet away from my brother's grave saying he loved me.

And I finally knew that I could accept his love. What I thought was a weakness in my mother was never that. She was so much stronger than I knew. I was proud to share some trait with her. Even if I'd never recognized the value of it before. I couldn't keep pushing Andy away. I heard Nancy's voice begging me not to break him again and I knew the choice was made.

I was moving toward him without knowing it until my shoe caught in a rut and I stumbled into him. He laughed when my body collided with his and he held onto me with more strength than I'd believe he possessed. His lips were hot against my neck as he hugged me tightly. "Not in front of your brother," He chided playfully when I slid my hands down to grab his butt.