Prologue

Moonlight began to fall on the darkening forest. A beautiful golden she-cat sat on the edge of camp, torn between the wails of a cat in pain and the urge to hear what StarClan had to say.

“I can’t go, Fernstar. I can’t possibly. Lightflower is kitting, and…” her words were cut off by another yowl echoing throughout the clan.

“You must have faith in Blazepaw,” the light brown tabby commanded, “you must go to the Moonpool, Goldenblaze. We need answers now.”

Goldenblaze sighed. I must trust Blazepaw. But Lightflower is my sister. I can’t just leave her. But she knew there was no arguing when Fernstar had made up her mind. But it was worth another try.

“Can’t Blazepaw go?” It was not that Goldenblaze mistrusted Blazepaw. He was reckless, outgoing, and not very patient. It was his first time treating a queen while she was kitting. “I think it would be best if I handled Lightflower for this one.”

Goldenblaze’s efforts were in vain. “No, I can supervise him. I’ll make sure he does everything right. If he doesn’t, it’s no great loss,” Fernstar replied nonchalantly.

No great loss at all, just the death of my sister. Goldenblaze bit back the words with an anxious glance back at camp. She would have been somewhat confident that Fernstar would take control if Blazepaw hadn’t run over that moment, his black and white pelt fluffed up in excitement.

“Don’t worry Goldenblaze! I’ll take care of Lightflower!” A sudden yowl came from the nursery, and Blazepaw bounced back. Goldenblaze cast an apprehensive glance back at her leader, who just nodded. Knowing there was no way out; Goldenblaze trudged up the path to the Moonpool.

At the top of the hill moonlight already begun to gather. Concerned whispers filled out the glowing hollow. Goldenblaze scampered down to meet three pairs of eyes, all looking at her with worry.

“We thought you wouldn’t come, Goldenblaze.” Striking amber eyes glinted off of the ghostly light, and Goldenblaze was shocked to see Squirrelpaw, the WindClan apprentice medicine cat. “Applepelt was kitting, and Littlefur didn’t want to leave her alone.”

This brought on murmurs of uneasiness. “Icepelt was kitting as well.” “Strange, so was Nightfrost.” A queen from each of the clans was kitting while the medicine cats were at the Moonpool.

“We couldn’t miss this meeting. StarClan certainly has some explaining to do.” Frogtail’s voice rose over the rest of the confusion. “We need to know what to do with our population thriving.”

Goldenblaze shuddered, recalling the greencough that had recently swept through her clan. Sickness was striking, and many warriors weren’t getting anything to eat even in the prey-rich months of greenleaf. With leaf-bare quickly approaching, it looked like the clans were going to starve. With so many warriors, there wasn’t enough food to go around. Many were starving, and already a stubborn elder died of hunger. There was too much warriors. But how would they control that? Kill half of them off? It seemed cruel to do such a thing.

Silence echoed throughout the moonlit hollow. “Maybe StarClan will give us some answers,” Squirrelpaw piped. The medicine cats glanced uneasily at each other. They knew that a queen was kitting back at their camp. But they couldn’t leave without the answer to the problem plaguing the clan for the past moon.

Frogtail’s pelt began to glow a sickly green in the light. “Squirrelpaw’s right. The least we can do is try.” Without another word, Goldenblaze touched her pale pink nose to the rich cold water and began to fall into the dream StarClan provided for her.

Goldenblaze awoke to find herself in a word of blue wonders stretching out around her. She gasped, for four minuscule pairs of eyes were staring at her. The scary part? They were all the same deep blue eyes.

The flames will lead, the poppy flower in the night will follow…

Silver flames engulfed Goldenblaze, making her gasp.

On a quest to wrong a right…

An evil cackle stormed over the Earth with pale silver-blue eyes staring at Goldenblaze, threatening to overcome her. Blue pools of that deep blue of the eyes began to swallow her up.

The clans will be destroyed…

Goldenblaze gasped in terror as she drowned in the blue depths.

Deep blue eyes, deep blue eyes… the clans will be destroyed by those deep blue eyes.