)2(

"Ugh I give up." Zaylee murmured to herself. She had spend the whole day walking around town looking for somewhere that would hire her. There was only one other place that she would be able to apply to. It was a small grocery store. But Zaylee didn't know where it was.

As Zaylee walked down the street she looked down at her phone looking up the directions for the store. As she was turning she bumped into someone. She fell backwards into her butt. "Oh I'm so sorry I wasn't paying attention." She hurried to apologize as she looked up at the person she had bumped into.

"Oh dear it alright. I wasn't paying attention either." The woman said as she helped Zaylee up from the ground. "Hi I'm May." The woman said. "I'm Zaylee. Sorry I bumped into you. I'm new around here and I don't know where anything is." She apologized again. "Oh well where are you going?" May asked.

"Um this store." Zay said and showed the nice women her phone with a picture of the store on it. "Oh I'm headed there right now. Just follow me." May said and started to walk in the opposite direction Zaylee has been walking.

"So how are you liking it around here so far?" My asked. "It's confusing. Everything looks the same to me." May laughed. "You'll figure it out soon." Zaylee smiled. She had just met this woman and she already liked her. Zaylee didn't have a mother figure growing up. That's probably why she liked May so much.

"We're here." May said motioning towards the store. "Thank you." Zaylee said as they walked in. "Anytime." May smiled. "I hope I can see you around sometime." May said and waved as she went on to her shopping. After she walked away Zay walked up to the counter and asked for an application.

———

Zaylee smiled as she walked down the street on her way home. She gotten the job. When she asked for an application they told her if she had time she could fill out the application right then and have the interview then too. The interview went well and she got the job.

Zaylee was so happy about getting the job. It meant more time out of the house. It also meant more money. Her father never bought her things she needed so this would help her out a lot. The store also offered discounts to employees. Now she could buy enough food for her and her dad without worry.

Once Zaylee made it home she climbed up the fire escape. She crawled in her widow then rushed towards the door to her room. No one was home. So Zaylee walked into the kitchen to get herself a drink. As she opened the fridge Zaylee noticed the time. It was 5:45 her dad was getting home at 6:00. He wanted her to have dinner ready by time he was home. If she didn't he would get angry then most likely hit her.

Zaylee ran around he kitchen finding things she could use to make for dinner. The only thing that she could find was a single packet of ramen noodles. She looked at the time again and it was 5:50. She wouldn't have time to boil the water. So she did the only thing she could.

Zaylee has a gift that no one knew about. She could manipulate water to her will. She could also make water. If she held out her hand using her gift water would come out of it. She didn't know where the water came from but she always thought it was formed using water from the air. But she never really knew.

Zaylees gift could do many things. She can shoot water out of her hands and she can decide what temperature she wants it to be. Boiling hot all the way to frozen. She could also move any water and make that water any temperature just like the water that comes out of her hands.

Zaylee looked around making sure no one was around. Then she held her hand over the pot she had gotten out. Boiling water came out of her hand and fell into the pot. When the water came out of her hand she could never feel the temperature so she assumed there was a layer of air between her and the water.

Once the boiling water was in the pot she dropped the block of ramen in the water. She let it sit while she got out a bowl. It was now 5:55. He dad could be home any minute.

The ramen was finally boiled so she added the flavoring and served it into the bowl. Right as she was setting the bowl down in her fathers spot at the table he walked in. He looked at Zaylee but didn't say a word.

He took off his shoes and set down his stuff from work. Once he had done that he sat down at the table and started to eat. Once he was eating Zaylee went to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. As she was walking out of the kitchen she heard her fathers deep voice. "Where's my beer?" He asked. "Shit." She cursed under her breath. She was really going to get it this time.

She walked back over to the fridge looking for the beer. There was none. She looked on the counter and there was one left in a pack. But it wasn't cold. Her father hated when his beer wasn't cold.

Zaylee grabbed the beer from the counter. She used her magic to make it colder but she wasn't fast enough. Her father ripped it out of her hand. He popped it open and took a large sip. When he took the bottle from his lips he slammed it down on the table with a loud bang. This caused Zay to jump.

"YOU CANT DO ANYTHING RIGHT CAN YOU!" He yelled at his daughter. Zaylee cowered back. "I'm sorry." She whispered. Her father walked up to her and grabbed her wrist. "Please stop you're hurting me." She whimpered as he dug his nails into her soft skin. Her father raised his hand the let it fall.

A loud smack was heard through the house as his hand landed on her cheek. Zaylees heads flung to the side making her hit her head on the wall. She whimpered but didn't say a word. She knew if she did she would be in more trouble.

Her dad let go of her wrist and walked back to he table to finish his dinner. Zaylee scurried out of the kitchen to her room she closed and locked the door. She walked over to the window sill and sat. She looked down at her wrist to see a bruise form. But that's nothing new to her.

As Zaylee sat she looked out at the sky. Whenever her father hurt her she wanted to use her powers to stop him. But she knew if she did only bad would come from it. Zaylee watches as the blue sky became black. She looked at the stars. Soon a single tear fell from her eye.