{5} I Won't Be Home For Christmas

***

***

So you remember that one letter that my mom sent to me saying that she would see me whenever I came home for Christmas? Well, the whole me coming for Christmas part was a complete lie. I can't say that I'm surprised because I'm not. I am not at all surprised that I wouldn't be coming home for Christmas. She had sent me a letter yesterday saying that, 'Something very important came up. I'm sorry, honey.' Yeah, right.

If she didn't want to see me then she should've just said so. But no, she decides to make up some stupid excuses to spare my feelings. She doesn't know that the excuses hurt a lot more than the truth actually would. I was sitting at the Gryffindor table watching Harry and Ron play wizard chess with a sad expression on my face. Whenever one of the boys would look over at me, I would fake a smile over to them. I didn't want to bother them with my problems. From a distance, I could see Hermione walking towards us with her trunk.

Harry said very clearly, "Knight to E-5." The white knight moved across the board.

Ron took a moment to think then said, "Queen to E-5." The red queen walks over to the white knight. The queen stood up and raised her chair then hit the knight. The white knight broke into pieces.

I turned at a noise and saw Hermione staring at the game with a shocked expression, "That's totally barbaric!"

Ron smirked, "That's wizard's chess. I see you've packed."

"I see you haven't." Hermione said looking at Ron and I.

Ron looked away from the chess board, "Change of plans. My parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother, Charlie. He's studying dragons there!"

Hermione looked over at me for an answer and I sighed, "Change of plans for me too. Apparently, my mother is too busy to see her own daughter for Christmas."

Hermione placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a sympathetic look, "You can always come with me and spend Christmas with us. My parents won't mind. They love you like you're their other daughter anyways. I think they would be thrilled to have the both of us there."

I shook my head, "I'm fine with staying here. I don't want to intrude on you guys again."

Hermione smiled sadly, "You two can help Harry, then. He's going to go the library for information on Nicholas Flamel."

"We've looked a hundred times!" Ron exclaimed, looking over at Harry and I.

Hermione leaned onto the table, "Not in the restricted section... Happy Christmas." She turned away from us and walked away.