I Tried To Fight Back

-Peter's P.O.V-

When the door opened again, and the two others walked in, Peter tensed and looked back at the blanket again. He noticed that Bruce no longer had the white coat, which made him feel a bit more relaxed. "Hey, Peter," Steve, Peter hoped he could call him that, said gently. Peter glanced at him, before looking back down.

"Hey, Peter, my name's Bruce, I'm your doctor. How do you feel?" Bruce said.

Peter looked at James for reassurance, who gave a small nod of his head. 'He said it was safe,' Peter thought, 'James doesn't lie to me.' Peter took a deep breath, "Sore?"

Steve smiled, "That's to be expected."

Peter didn't know what to say, so he just awkwardly looked at his wrists. "Are those uncomfortable?" Bruce asked. "I noticed that your wrists and ankles were a bit red. Is it to tight?"

Peter felt a tight pain in his chest when he remembered how his wrists and ankles had gotten rubbed raw. He guessed that since HYDRA hadn't fed him well enough, his healing wasn't as good as it would be. "No, it's fine," He answered looking up. He saw sad realization in James' eyes, and Peter knew that the man had figured out why his wrists and ankles were the way they were.

"Can we take them off of him?" Bucky asked Bruce and Steve. Peter resisted the urge to frown. He didn't want to risk injuring the people who were trying to help him.

Bruce and Steve shared a look, and after a mental conversation they two seemed to have, Bruce walked to Peter reaching into his pocket. Peter instinctively shuffled tilted himself away from Bruce, and looked over at James.

"He's just going to unlock the cuffs, Kid," James reassured.

Peter purses his lips, but didn't do anything to stop Bruce from unlocking him. Peter had to give the Doctor credit. He did everything slow, and talked Peter through what he was doing, so Peter knew what was coming.

Once all of the cuffs were unlocked, Peter adjusted himself so he was sitting criss-cross. He looked up once again, "Cap- Steve, right?"

The old hero looked surprised that Peter had addressed him, "Yeah, Peter?"

"Um... sorry, I think that's what you say, yeah, sorry about the, um," Peter pointed to his chest. He remembered how he had relaxed long enough to get James and Steve to let him go just enough for him to move around, and to slice his chest.

Luckily it wasn't to deep.

"What are you- oh, it's okay Peter. Not the worst thing I've been through. Already healed," Steve reassured.

Peter let out the breath he wasn't aware he'd been holding. This was the first time he'd actually gotten to apologize to someone he'd attempted to kill. It felt good.

After a prolonged period of silence, James asked, "You hungry, Peter?" Peter nodded. Of course he was hungry, he'd gotten used to the feeling long ago, but it always felt horrible. "Are you comfortable enough to eat with everyone else?"

Peter quickly shook his head. Things were moving way to fast. Just hours ago, he had been under control of HYDRA, had one set of clothes to wear, and was starving every single minute of his life. Now, he was in a different set of clothes, he was able to freely move, and he was getting the offer to eat all he wanted. As amazing as it is, he could barely handle being around James, Steve, and Bruce. How many Avengers were there? Way too many for Peter to be even slightly comfortable, that's for sure.

James nodded, "Then what about dinner with just Steve and I? We'll eat in here, and then we'll help move you to your room."

"My... Room?" Peter asked.