Breathe In, Breathe Out, Blink, and Relax

-Peter's P.O.V-

"Are you sure that this will work?" Peter asks warily, switching between looking at Shuri and James.

Shuri scoffed, "You doubt me, Peter? I thought we were friends."

"That was a- that was a joke right?" Peter wondered. He was slowly getting better at telling the difference between someone joking and being serious. He was able to work on it, which was the thing he was most happy about. Sometimes, though, he just needed clarification.

James nodded with a small grin, hand tightening reassuringly around Peter's, "It was, Bud, don't worry. And this'll work. It got all the programming out of me. It'll help you too."

Peter bit his lower lip. That was another thing he was working on- showing unease. Showing any type of emotion, really. "Okay. I'm ready."

"Don't worry, Peter," Shuri assured, "This will take... an hour at most."

James frowned, "It took me forty five minutes."

Shuri sighed, "Yes... well, you had more memories from before HYDRA than Peter. It was easier for you, than it will be for Peter."

"So you're saying it'll take longer because I have less happy memories?" Peter asked. Of course it wouldn't be that easy for him. HYDRA was following him even after everything. They were following him even when he had gotten away. Assholes.

"Essentially," Shuri answered, "Now this won't block out the memories of HYDRA. But it will bring back the memories you cannot remember. Albeit it will not be all at once, but it should take one to three weeks for them all to come back."

Peter nodded, took a deep breath, and looked Shuri in the eyes, "Let's get started then."

•••

James and Peter walked up the stairs to the common room. They both preferred them to the elevator, so it was an unsaid agreement that they would take the stairs when walking together. "So, how do you feel, Pete?" James asked.

Peter hummed, "I feel... lighter? Is that an answer?"

James smiled, "I think if you told anyone else that they might be a little confused, but I get it."

Peter nodded, and they climbed the last staircase in silence. When they opened the door to the common room, Wanda met them at the door, "Hello, Peter. How do you feel?"

Peter smiles, as much as the question had been repeated over the month and a half after the rescue, he would never get over the feeling of people asking if he was okay. "Lighter," Peter answers.

Wanda have Peter a one armed hug, and led him to the kitchen, "We were going to surprise you until Steve pointed out how terrible of an idea that was."

"Yeah," Peter chuckled, "That probably wouldn't have been the best idea." James laughed behind the two.

"Good thing star-spangled-man-with-a-plan pointed it out before we went through with it then," Tony said. "We made cake. As a congratulatory to you for overcoming those HYDRA asshats."

"A cake?" Peter wondered, head titling a bit with a small smile. He was doing that a lot recently- smiling that is. It felt good.

"Yup. Made entirely of waffles. We also have a breakfast bar. So go ahead, Bud. Everything's up to you," Tony smirked, making a wide gesture with his arms.

Everything's up to you. Peter's smile grew. He could get used to having a choice.

•••

"Kill it, Spider," Zemo orders.

"I don't- I can't-" Peter mumbles, staring at the small dog in front of him. A hit to the back of his head send him right to the ground. The whine from the dog mixing with the ringing in Peter's ears.