What?

-Peter's P.O.V-

"Are you sure you're feeling alright," Bruce asked with worried eyes, "No pain at all?"

Peter shook his head, "My chest is a little sore, but that is to be expected right?" He was laying against the bed that had been set up so he could sit back comfortably. Someone had brought his favorite pillow- something he greatly appreciated.

"Yeah. That's to be expected," Bruce turned his face to the ceiling, "FRIDAY, can you ask Bucky to bring down some spare clothes for Peter?"

"Done, Dr. Banner."

The Avengers had traveled back to the Compound a week after Peter had woken up. It had been agreed that it would be easier for everyone to interrogate the HYDRA agents that they had captured. It also helped Peter to be in a more familiar place for recovery. Even if it was the compound and not the tower, it was somewhere Peter knew.

Bruce has also taken his white coat off. A small detail that Peter was surprised but thankful that he had remembered.

"Thank you, Bruce," Peter mumbled, running his hand through his hair and looked at the blanket covering his lower body.

There was no answer for a few seconds. Then, Peter heard Bruce's quiet sigh as the older man sat down in the flimsy chair besides Peter's bed. "Peter," The man started, "It really is no problem. In fact... I owe you an apology."

Peter's head shot up, and he turned the scientist with wide, questioning eyes. Questions on why Bruce was apologizing filled Peter's head. Was he apologizing for something that they were going to do to him in the future? Was he apologizing for... Peter couldn't think of anything else.

"I'm sorry for not being there."

What?

"What?" Peter breathes out.

"I'm sorry that I wasn't here when you were taken.. I was supposed to be watching you and... I'm really sorry, Peter."

Oh.

"You don't- you shouldn't have to be sorry," Peter reassures, "It wasn't your fault. You can't be expected to watch over me all of the time."

"But that was my job, Peter."

"And from what I understand, people are allowed breaks. That's what I was told."

Bruce chuckled softly, "Yeah... yeah you're right."

Peter nodded, and was about to say something when he heard familiar footsteps approach the door. There was a knock, "It's Bucky, I got the clothes you asked for?"

Bruce cleared his throat, "Come on in."

The door slid open, revealing Bucky standing almost awkwardly with a small pile of clothing in his hands. "Uh, I got the clothes you guys asked for."

Bruce stood back smiling slightly, "Thanks. I'll be off. I need to make sure Tony isn't hiding himself in his lab." With a nod in Peter's direction, the doctor walked out of the room, taking a paper cup full with water with him.

James sat down on the edge of the bed, "Need help changing, or are you feeling good enough to change by yourself?"

Peter felt embarrassment wash through him. He knew that somebody had changed him from his HYDRA gear to the hospital gown he was currently wearing. He was glad he hadn't been conscious for any of that. The vulnerability he felt just thinking about it was a lot to handle with everything else he was feeling.

"No, I can do it myself," Peter was quick to reply. He swung his legs off the bed, and wrapped the blanket around him before he stood up. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath to swallow the stinging across his torso at the movements.