Baby born 1984

With a mighty sigh it was all over. Minerva was hot and bothered and the profanities that she mentally wanted to say had stopped at the sight of a stunning baby girl. Her hair was a bright ginger and her eyes green like her mother's. Suddenly the moist, warm atmosphere became known and the windows were opened at the flick of her wand. Staring like a lost soul, the older witch was pulled from the trance by her husband placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's too warm in here for that. I'm also too old for this." Immediately his hand pulled back and he smiled down. "I don't think she suites Amara my dear." All Minerva did was nod. They sat in silence a little longer as the child was stared at intently. An entire hour passed but the child soon cried. The plea for food was quiet but Minerva was quick to react. Elphinstone laughed lightly at her antics but felt a strong love. "I am 50 years old soon enough and I just had a baby." She couldn't believe it but deep down she feared her age would stop her daughter from having a childhood she deserved.

"What about Annie?" Piped Dumbledore as he stepped in with some child's clothes fit for a proper princess. "Oh no too short." Elphinstone jumped in. "Annabella" minerva muttered as she patted the little angel on the back. "A lovely name I do believe." Dumbledore added and Elphinstone agreed. "Well then that is settled but what about Eileen as a middle name?" Nods of approval left a smile on the witches face.

As the day drew to a close a sudden surge of people swept into the room of Minerva's. Professors all came in bringing presents and joy. The child was passed from human to human all under the watchful eye of her mother. "So what did she weigh?" Sprout asked kindly. "Oh 7 pounds 8 ounces." The woman smiled. Everyone commented on Minerva's happy demeanour but also the tired demeanour. An hour passed and all of the adults sat either on the bed or on a sofa around.

"How are you feeling?" Professor Miller asked politely and a tired smile was returned. "Lovely." A low sarcastic rumble made a return after immediately handing the child on. "Oh Severus." Her sharp eyes met his and he stopped. "Late June is a splendid time for a child." Madam Pomfrey mused and professors all began to talk among themselves. Not once did her eyes leave her baby girl. "So a name has been chosen then?" A nosy Burbage asked. "Indeed Annabella Eileen Mcgonagall. My name because my body." She pointedly said and a few laughs were heard. The dark brown hair that belonged to Minerva was laid loose around her and the red tint to her face had calmed down. "June 30th will always be a day to remember." Albus added as he began to leave. As he left so did the others. Elphinstone gently escorted the guests out and went back upstairs to sleep. The weather outside was frightful as thunder and lightning boomed from the heavens. 'How can such a lovely event occur on such a dreadful night?' Minerva pondered but fell asleep.

The night was broken and haphazard as the child would regularly wake up for food or a nappy change. The two were also terrified of crushing the baby. By the time Elphinstone was due to be up for work he was just as tired. "I'll be back soon." He whispered and kissed both girls heads as he left.

Minerva spent the day with the baby. They both were washed, fed and happy. "I have only seen your eyes once miss. I would quite like to see them again." She playfully said as the two cuddled close. After this was said Dumbledore walked in. "I hear you know how to knock." The witch mocked but stopped when she saw his face. "What is it Albus?" She asked fearing the worst. "Oh nothing I have just been to the Potters graves." He commented and Minerva hugged him. "Gone but never forgotten." The two sat and talked until Elphinstone returned.

Almost a year passed and Minerva was at a grave. On the stone read 'McGregor.' She smiled a small smile and placed a flower on his grave. Young Annabella waddled around and kissed her mother on the cheek. Rising to her feet Minerva was met by a distraught Dumbledore. "It appears that you will soon be coming back here." He quietly spoke. "What on earth are you on about? Elphinstone doesn't like me visiting too often as I often return home miserable. I rarely visit." She was worried. "Is Harry alright?" She asked with frayed nerves. "He is fine. Still with the Dursley family. I was hoping. No wishing I could have told you with more time so as to not hinder your progress in getting ready to start work again since the baby but, I am sorry. Elphinstone Urquart has died." Falling back to the ground Minerva shook as she sat. "No." Was all she uttered as her baby then herself began crying. "Oh baby girl. It's alright mummy's here." Tears slid down all three faces as the night grew on. "The 30th of June really was a big day." She mumbled as she brought her and her daughter up. "Indeed it was my dear." He muttered and lead her back to where she once called home. "I would like to make my permanent residence Hogwarts." Her voice sharp and decided. "Very well. Your chambers shall be that all year round. I of course shall have the house elves make the chambers child friendly." The two nodded finally at each other and Albus left. With a few waves the place was packed and before anyone could stop her she was gone.

The journey was haphazard. The broomstick soared through the sky and carried Minerva's tears with it. The baby kept moving but was strapped to the professor so only the little occasional readjustment had to be made. All of their luggage was shrunk and in Minerva's pocket for safety. After more tears were shed and land was covered the old witch landed on her feet at the castle. There she was greeted by her childhood friend professor Sprout and the mediwitch Poppy Pomfrey. "Oh Minerva come here." The witch's stony face showed tear lines as she was brought into a hug. "I am more upset for Annabella honestly. A baby with no father." She wept but only slightly.

As she made her way back to her chambers she saw a few faces who shared their apologies or condolences. The castle was filled with the happy memories she had and she was sure many more would be made. Minerva could do nothing but climb into the bed, a bed that felt too large and her loss was just as lost. Feeling lonely she brought Annabella into bed with her "happy birthday baby girl." She spoke into the short ginger hair. Hair she loved.