eleven

The rest of the week flew by and Penny found herself finishing up her Saturday 7-10 pm shift at The Daily Bugle.

Penny rubbed her face in her hands, exhausted but also unbelievably stressed. She had until 5 pm the next day to get Mr. Jameson photos of Spiderman, and she hadn't even heard him in the news let alone seen him in person.

She started to pack her things up, ready to just collapse onto her bed. She sighed as she put her camera in her bag, and her phone in her back pocket.

She avoided the elevator and walked down the countless flights of stairs into the crisp February air. Luckily for Penny, it was the warmest winter they'd had in years, never dropping below 38 degrees Fahrenheit.

As she passed Mr. Delmar's her stomach began to rumble. When I get home I'm making some ramen, Penny thought.

Despite it being close to 10:30 on a Saturday night, barely anyone was on the streets. It creeped Penny out, and put her in high alert mode. She slipped her house keys in between her fingers for protection, just in case.

As she got to the normal alleyway that she used to cut through as a shortcut, she stopped. It was way darker than she remembered.

"This is such a bad idea, and I have no idea why I'm going through with it," Penny said to herself as she started to walk down the alley, every sound frightening her.

She had almost made it across when she heard a noise behind her. She knew she should have kept walking, but instead she froze in fear. She slowly turned around.

Her heart was beating so rapidly, when suddenly out of the shadows came a rat. Penny sighed in relief, she even cracked a smile.

"Oh man I almost had a heart attack," She joked to herself. She turned back around and started to walk across the street. 

What Penny didn't realize was that as she was crossing, a drunk driver was barreling down the road heading 60 miles per hour directly at her. She only had time to look up before she saw her life flash before her eyes. She closed her eyes waiting for impact but it never happened.

When she opened her eyes she saw she was on the side of the road with none other than Spiderman standing in front of her, in all his onesie glory.

"Thank you so much!" Penny shouted engulfing him in a hug. Peter tensed up, he didn't realize it was Penny when he saved her, but when he landed he figured it out. How would he get himself out of this one?

"Uh, yeah. It's all part of my, my job," He spluttered, praying to every God he could think of that Penny wouldn't recognize him.  

"Hey, can I ask you a question?" Penny asked shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

Peter stiffened again, did she already know it was him? He hesitantly answered, "Go for it."

"Can I take your picture for The Daily Bugle? Not that it means anything to you, but if I get these photos than the head of the company will appoint me as a senior photographer, at just age 15. So please, can you help a girl out?"

Peter smiled under his mask, no wonder she was so stressed about the job. Good thing he knew Spiderman very well and would be able to aid Penny in her time of need.

It also explained why she hated Spiderman so much, he might have cost her her job.

"Sure," He replied. Penny's face lit up as she began to snap some photos. Peter decided to goof around and do various poses.

Penny giggled at his childish mannerisms, them reining in the slight air of familiarity. However, she couldn't put her finger on it, so she ignored the feeling.

"Would it be too much trouble if I also interviewed you? It would just be recorded on my phone," Penny asked when she had gotten all the photos she needed.

Spiderman nodded his head in approval, and Penny pulled her phone out. She pressed record and waited a second before speaking

"So Spiderman, some people call you a hero while others call you a vigilante. How do you feel about this?" Penny asked holding her phone closer to the man in the mask.

"Well, I want to protect people. Save as many citizens as I can. And if I have to sometimes break the law or run away from police, I'll do it. Saving innocent people is my number one priority," Peter replied barely giving the question any thought.

"This may be personal, but why did you decide to become Spiderman?"

"Something happened to somebody I loved, they died and I watched it happen. It was all my fault. I vowed from that day that I would use my powers to help people. Anyone who is in need, I'll help them."

"Okay last question, so uh, you sound kinda young if I'm honest. How old are you? If I had to guess it sounds like you're about 15-17, which defeats the purpose of being called Spiderman," Penny asked, trying to hold back a laugh as he was visibly offended, even through the mask.

"I am old enough to know what's right and wrong, and I think that's all that matters," Peter said slightly nervous.

Penny ended the recording making sure to thank him one more time. "Hey, thanks for saving me. If it weren't for you, I probably would've died."

Woah, that's the second time this week that I've been in mortal danger. I need to stop getting myself in trouble, Penny thought as she shuffled her feet waiting for Spiderman to do something.

Peter shifted his weight in his homemade suit, unsure of what to do next. He didn't like the thought of Penny walking home alone, especially after what just happened with the drunk driver.

"Hey can I swing you home or something? Not that I don't think you wouldn't be able to handle yourself, I would just rather be safe than sorry," Peter asked slightly awkwardly.

Penny looked surprised at his offer, "Uh sure, I live on 42nd and 3rd in the tall gray apartment building.

"Okay, I guess, hold on tight?" Peter asked as she looked at him like he was crazy.

"Wouldn't it be easier if I just got on your back?" Penny asked, slightly nervous about literally swinging through Queens.

"It's less romantic that way though," Peter smirked under his mask. He had no idea where that boost of confidence came from, or why he was saying that to Penny of all people, but his witty Spiderman personality just took over.

Penny blushed at his words and stumbled out an okay before wrapping her arms around his torso.

"You ready?" Spiderman asked her.

"Um, no, not really," Penny replied nervously.

He only laughed before shooting his webs at the top of a building and took off. Penny thought she was going to get whiplash they were moving so fast.

She held onto Spiderman's body even tighter, and he laughed in response. In under two minutes they were outside of her building. He set her down and Penny immediately was laying on the ground.

"Land! Sweet sweet land!" She over exaggerated, making Peter laugh.

"Was it really that scary?" He asked, leaning against the building.

"Oh absolutely terrifying," Penny paused, a small smile forcing its way onto her lips, "But if you ever see me walking home again I expect a ride from you."

"So you enjoyed it! I knew it wasn't that bad!" Peter exclaimed, happy she did in fact have fun.

"Yeah but, don't tell anybody. Can't have my friends thinking I tolerate Spiderman, now can I?" Penny laughed.

"Yeah sure, okay. I'll see you around..." Peter trailed off, he needed to pretend to not know her.

"Penny, my name's Penny." She smiled holding out her hand for Spiderman to shake.

"Nice to meet you Penny, stay out of trouble," And with that Peter slung his webs, and was swinging through the streets of Queens.

Penny couldn't stop smiling as she walked into her building, and up the 8 flights of stairs. Talking to Spiderman was weirdly fun, and she hoped that maybe they could be friends. As she opened her door, Penny sighed contentedly, ready for tomorrow where she would become the senior photographer of The Daily Bugle.