thirty six

Michelle had come over to Penny's shortly after their phone call, as she had finished up her last final for the year. They were planning on chilling together until it came time to get ready for Homecoming.

Since Sara and William were in Australia and Penny was going to the dance, Noah had been set up with a sleepover at his friend Kyle's house. This meant that the girls could be as loud and obnoxious as they wanted, and wouldn't have to worry about him coming home in the middle of one of their karaoke sessions. Again.

"So, you missed it since you didn't have to go in today but, Parker asked Liz to the dance and she said yes," Michelle informed her best friend.

Penny's heart dropped slightly. "Oh, well. Good for him. I mean, he's been crushing on her forever. It's nice to see him get a win. Especially with a girl as pretty as Liz," She said monotonously. 

Michelle sighed, "You're not jealous are you?"

"What? No, of course not. I'm not that petty. Peter has liked Liz for two freaking years. I've liked him for what, two months? I'm happy for him, really," Penny defended, not liking that just because she liked Peter, Michelle automatically assumed she would become some crazy clingy person that didn't let anyone near their crush.

"That's fair," She responded as they both shoveled popcorn into their mouths. Penny glanced at the time. It was currently 3:37, and the dance started at 7. If they left at 6:30, that meant that they should start getting ready at 5:30. They had plenty of time to still relax.

Both girls were perfectly content on just staying in their stretched out lazed positions for the rest of the night, but alas, they had come too far now to not go to the dance. Somehow they managed to peel themselves off the couch, and put their dresses and shoes on.

"Bro, I already had my makeup done to perfection this week. The only thing going on my face is concealer to get rid of these wack ass bags under my eyes," Michelle complained, pushing the makeup bag away from her.

"Honestly? Me too. Except, also mascara. I want mascara," Penny agreed, taking the tube from the bag and doing the finishing touches on her face.

"Can't believe you're going with Flash, though. It's crazy," Michelle said, flopping onto Penny's bed.

"I am not going with him. I am simply meeting him there. And hanging out with him for the duration of the dance, that's it. He promised to leave Ned and Peter alone if I said yes, so obviously I had to," Penny countered.

Michelle raised her eyebrow, "You do not have to subject yourself to an entire night of Flash Thompson, just for Ned and Peter."

"I'm tired of them getting tormented, okay? And besides. They're my friends, MJ. Don't you consider them friends?"

Michelle huffed a piece of hair out of her face. "You're my only friend. No one else."

Penny rolled her eyes, "As touched as I am by that, you're so full of shit. Just admit that they're your friends, and we can move on."

"Not happening."

"You're ridiculous."

"Someone's gotta do it," Michelle shrugged her shoulders.

Penny cracked a smile, "Yeah, yeah. Besides, I'll probably just wind up ignoring him the whole time. He never specified that I had to talk to him, just accompany him."

"You sly dog. See, this is why you're my best friend," Michelle laughed. They finished getting ready and slipped on their shoes.

"Alright, we gotta catch the train. Let's go," Penny said, grabbing her mini black backpack. It carried her and Michelle's phones, wallets, chapstick, deodorant, and her camera so she could take photos.