twenty three

The next day, the school year was officially winding down because there was only a month and a half left. Students were getting antsy when the 1st of May rolled around, Penny included. She walked into school with a bounce in her step and zipped right to Michelle's locker.

"Hey MJ, only 34 and a half school days left! You excited?" Penny asked hopping from foot to foot.

"To end school and then enter the most stress induced summer, because now college matters and test scores are everything and if you fail the SAT's then you don't get into the college you've been planning on going to your whole life, and then your entire 10 year plan goes down the drain all because you decided on staying up late the night before, watching Netflix thinking to yourself, yeah I can squeeze in one more episode?" Michelle took a deep breath in, "Of course I'm excited. So what were you up to yesterday?"

"Oh you know, doing homework, taking photos, talking to Spiderman. The usual," Penny said slyly, watching her best friend's reaction.

"Dude! That's like the billionth time! If I didn't know any better, you're his favorite civilian. You said he's a kid? I bet he likes you, and is tryna slide in your DM's," Michelle replied nudging Penny in the ribs.

"Stop," She laughed, "Spiderman doesn't like me, but, I may or may not like him," Penny whispered, leaning in so only Michelle could hear.

"Why am I not surprised? So what happened, what'd you guys talk about that made you swoon?" Michelle laughed.

"Oh my god, I didn't swoon. I don't know man, we were just talking. It got pretty deep, too. I learned a pretty heavy secret about him. And we just click. It's easy to talk and joke around with him, it's like we've known each other for years," Penny gushed. Michelle only rolled her eyes in response.

"This bug boy better not take my place, or he can catch these hands. I swear, I'll kick his ass just to prove that I'm your number one."

"You need to sister stop before I hurt you. But I bet me and Spiderman are gonna fall in love and have 8000 spider babies together. It'll be beautiful. Oh! MJ you can be the maid of honor at our spider themed wedding. Serving nothing but fly flavored food, of course," Penny and Michelle laughed as they walked through the halls, on their way to History.

Peter and Ned of course only heard the last thing that Penny said, both turning wide eyed to each other.

"Dude! Do you think Penny really likes Spiderman? Or do you think they were just joking?" Ned asked pacing back and forth.

Peter's heart was beating rapidly. Did Penny actually have a crush on him? Well, Spiderman, but same thing. Should he do anything about it? He was still head over heels for Liz, would that get in the way? Peter wasn't sure what to do. He had so many conflicting feelings.

"They- They were probably just joking. You know how they are. Michelle probably said something sarcastic, and Penny would reply with something just as sarcastic, probably giving way to that sentence. Let's not dwell on it," Peter mostly said that last part to himself, but he didn't want to be reminded by Ned throughout the day.

But that's exactly what wound up happening. Ned wouldn't shut up about Penny's potential crush on Spiderman, and when they finally got to gym for the last period, Peter was about to explode.

"-And that's why she probably said 8000. I don't think it's even possible for a human woman to give birth 8000 times," Ned theorized as they walked out of the changing room.

"Ned? Shut up, or I will literally tell everyone that you sleep in a diaper," Peter groaned, annoyed beyond all belief.

"Okay okay, I'll stop talking," Ned backed down. Peter silently thanked the lord, and they sat down on their mats ready to do Coach Wilson's 'exercise'.

Throughout the period it was getting harder and harder to ignore Penny and Michelle's constant laughter coming from the other side of the room. Peter hated using his spider hearing to eavesdrop, but he couldn't help it.

"-Bro, I bet he's so hot too. Like think of his ab's. Definitely shredded," Michelle giggled, pushing Penny's shoulder playfully.

"I can't believe you're still talking about this," Penny paused rolling her eyes. Then she continued, "I wonder how deep his V-line is?"

Michelle and Penny both burst out laughing, the latter letting out a snort.

"And don't forget his biceps-" Michelle started.

"Oh, I bet they're made of steel," Penny finished. They started laughing again, causing more people to look their way, including Flash.

"Please tell me when you see Spiderman shirtless for the first time. I want a full blown analysis. Cam Jansen that shit, take a mental picture and describe every detail to me. Because obviously, you're gonna start dating," Michelle said while doing a few sit ups, pretending to be working.

Peter's face flushed bright red. So they were talking about him, and they weren't joking. He shook his head of his thoughts, and turned back to Ned who was blabbering on about some sort of Lego set he wanted to buy.

When the period ended, Peter rushed out so he could change and start his daily Spiderman rounds. Penny went home immediately not bothering to change.

When she walked out of the gates she was on her phone, picking a song to start listening to. Suddenly she was knocked into, sending her backpack and her phone and headphones flying. Her hands and knees scraped the concrete, causing blood to appear.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry. That was all my fault. Are you okay?" None other than Peter asked, not even realizing who he bumped into.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She spoke curtly, gathering her things and standing up.

"Oh! Penny, I didn't realize it was you. Are you all good?" He asked shyly, unsure of where they stood.

"In which sense? Scrape-wise, I'll be fine, who cares. In regards to us, bye," Penny said brushing past him, eyes lingering on a bruise that was visible through his t-shirt and a cut on his lip. He was still lying, and she wasn't going to put up with it.

Peter sighed, she still needed time. But he would wait. He would get his Penny back.

Penny walked to her house, mood slightly soured. She hated that Peter could do that to her. One minute she could be fine, living her best life not thinking about the trouble he could be in, the next she would be picking over how fresh the bruise or cut appeared to be, basically tearing herself apart.

When she arrived home, she found Noah, William and Sara all waiting for her in the kitchen.

"Hey kiddo, how was school?" William asked, offering her a glass of water. Penny hesitantly accepted.

"Uh- It was fine. Easy as always," She replied before setting the glass on the table, waiting for whatever bomb they were about to drop on her.

"And your job at The Bugle, how's that?" Sara asked, a gentle tone in her voice calming Penny's nerves.

"It's good. I'm getting all the photos I need, and then some," Penny said, eyeing her family suspiciously. "Listen, what's going on?" She finally asked.

"You're gonna wanna sit down for this," Noah said cryptically, giving Penny a look that said he was being serious.

She was not ready for the news that was then shared with her.