015

The Women of the Imperial Palace

When He Heng entered the room with a smile, he bowed to Jing Fei immediately. After Jing fei allowed him to rise, he walked to sit next to Qu Qing Ju and took a sip of tea before inquiring: "What has mother been talking to them about?"

Jing fei looked at the Yun brocade golden bordered robe of a qin wang, and with a cheerful expression said, "What can women say, it's just little things. Why are you so thirsty, are the servants of the fu not diligent enough?"

"The matters at court required some talking, nothing to do with the people of the fu," Knowing that mother was meaning to put the blame to Qu Qing Ju, He Heng said, "These past days, the court has been arguing over some small things, even us brothers have been examined much by our Imperial father."

Touching upon matters of the court, Jing fei intelligently didn't continue the line of questioning, only continuing: "You should take care of your body no matter how busy it gets. Now that you are married, you cannot act like you did before." Saying to there, she looked at Qu Qing Ju who docilely sat at the side, "Your wife is a virtuous one. Just like mother, she hopes to let wang fu be fruitful in children. You don't want all your brothers to have children, and you are still living idly."

Qu Qing Ju's brow moved slightly. Jing fei was criticizing her for being jealous, not letting He Heng go to another woman's bed? This man's legs are grown on his own body, it was his freedom where he wanted to go. The so-called "rain and dew must be shared" was a joke. If it had to be shared, then why did the Da Long Dynasty still have the rule that the husband had to reside in the wife's rooms on the first and fifth of each month?

She didn't have any feelings towards He Heng but she didn't want to live like a widow. Additionally, she didn't like having something she frequently used be given into the hands of another woman of her own initiative. Did they think she is stupid or a saint?

He Heng smiled slightly and didn't reply to Jing fei's words. He turned his head and looked past Feng Zi Jin: "Did mother like the little playthings Qing Ju sent, this son and your daughter-in-law had collected them for many days."

"I know you are filial," Jing fei saw he didn't want to follow up on the subject and turned to speak of daily life, asking everything about what He Heng dressed and ate everyday.

Qu Qing Ju listened silently at one side. She had to admit, Jing Fei might not be a good mother-in-law but was definitely a good mother. She was also very perceptive. Whenever she found a subject He Heng didn't want to talk about, she would move onto another topic, rather than, like other women, continue to try to educate the other until the other had accepted her way of thinking.

This was an intelligent woman. Otherwise she wouldn't be the only imperial consort that could match Shu fei. The present inner palace had an Empress. But, this Empress had no children and her own family wasn't of any significance. Consequently, she didn't have any real power in this inner palace, just an empty scaffold at the top of which she could look at others engaged in conflict.

He Heng didn't try to intentionally say good things about Qu Qing Ju in front of Jing Fei but he was more attentive in his words to Jing fei than normal. This caused Jing fei's smile to not disappear from her face for an instant.

When it was time for the noon meal, Jing fei retained He Heng to eat. Feng Zi Jin and Jiang Yong Yu had to stand at one side to serve. Qu Qing Ju, due to the fact that she had just recovered, received mother-in-law's extra "affection" and was released from the act of having to serve mother-in-law and sat down beside He Heng.