Chapter 30

Chapter Thirty
To Be Partial

Even though the palace banquet was to be happening at night, but Qu Qing Ju and He Heng needed to kowtow to the Emperor and Empress so they rose early.

The relationship between the Imperial Couple wasn't good but today, the two of them actually sat together. Qu Qing Ju and He Heng traveled to the Emperor's residence of Tian Qi Palace.[1] When the taijian ushered them in, they saw the married couple of He Qi and Wei Qing E already situated on the chairs.

He Heng went forward a few steps and pulled Qu Qing Ju to kneel in front of the Imperial Couple: "Er chen and wang fei wishes fuhuang and muhou a good new year." Finishing, he held up a sandalwood box with both hands, "That the three stars[2] of "luck", "good fortune", and "long life" accompany fuhuang always and good fortune for the world."[3]

Qing De Emperor took the sandalwood box and saw the carvings of the three stars inside. He smiled and said: "Heng'er and your wife, stand up." When a person became old, the thing desired most was luck and long life. This "good fortune" also had a second meaning of status, and it matched Qing De Emperor's desires so his smile became a fraction softer, "You two sit down." Finishing, he ordered the taijian to move two chairs for the two.

This was the first time Qu Qing Ju met the Emperor. Making use of the motion of sitting down, she took a peek at the other. The Emperor's appearance was average compared to his sons, his body softer and heavier. Between his brows, there was tiredness and old age. No wonder his sons all had other ideas.

"Da ge came so early," He Heng, after he sat, raised his hands in a greeting to He Qi and smiled, "Didi greets gege."

"Er di came early too," He Qi gave a bright smile and then looked at the emperor. Seeing the emperor was still looking at what lao er had given him, he said, "Fuhuang, this year the treasury is very rich. Er chen heard that the storytellers in the tea shops and restaurants have been praising fuhuang for your benevolence. I don't know if fuhuang had heard it."

Qing De Emperor heard those words and closed the box in his hands. He placed it to one side and looked at He Qi, "You're such a child. Still running to the shops, there's nothing worth in hearing these things."

"Fuhuang, please forgive me. Er chen's words may slightly offend you. Er chen feels that most of the public are honest and dutiful. If they say you are benevolent, it naturally comes from the heart. When er chen heard this, er chen was secretly happy." He Qi straightened his neck, looking as though he had to explain, "Er chen cannot be like fuhuang and not place any importance on the reputation. But since they were complimenting you, er chen couldn't help but feel happy."

This boot-licking was really well done, Qu Qing Ju though silently. Ning Wang appeared to speak straightforwardly but it was too pleasing to the ear. Look how happy the emperor was, even his laugh was pitched a few notes higher.

"Da ge, really. You already knew that fuhuang doesn't like hearing this, but you still said it," He Heng complained, "Not just this year, in the past there have been many citizens that said fuhuang was benevolent and a good ruler. I didn't dare tell fuhuang and just felt happy in secret."

He Qi heard this and started to swear on the inside. This lao er was too f—–g good at following up. What he just did with his words, he pushed fuhuang even higher and underneath, he criticized him for only finding out this year. Wasn't this digging a hole for him?

After hearing He Heng's words, Qing De Emperor's smile became even happier. After a few sounds, he turned and said to the empress: "Look at these kids, they don't look like wang ye at all. To be so happy over such a little thing, people would laugh at them."