Chapter 88

Chapter Eighty Eight
Crowned Empress

Several plain carriages entered through the side door of the Imperial Palace's main gates. The guards protecting the doors watched as the carriages slowly moved away. This procession, compared to when the Empress niangniang had came into the palace, was drastically lacking.

Right now, the Emperor hadn't officially crowned the Empress, but due to the fuss at Royal Court, who in the palace didn't know that Qu shi was the unofficial Empress? They didn't know how many palace maids and taijian in the Department of Household Affairs were currently breaking their backs trying to get a chance to serve the Empress. It was a pity that the Emperor had personally picked the servants for Empress. Just the amount of care that the Emperor was taking was enough to let everyone in the palace understand very clearly that, in the heart of the Emperor, those shiqie of Duan Wang Fu added up together couldn't even compare to one finger of the Empress.

"Stop!" The long thin voice of a taijian sounded from outside the carriage. The carriages simultaneously stopped. The taijian in command looked at the carriages behind him, and announced in a loud voice: "Please, mistresses, get off the carriage and proceed to the step-carriage."

Jiang Yong Yu held Ai Lu's hand to get off the carriage. She saw that there were four step-carriages not too far away, one of which was grander than the others. Before she could react, the taijian who had been speaking walked in front of her, smiling as he greeted: "Greetings to niangniang, nucai is Yu Ping Palace's chief steward He Shou. Please, come this way." He reached out his arm to usher Jiang Yong Yu to the finest step-carriage.

As she supported Jiang Yong Yu, Ai Lu's heart leapt in joy. This taijian dared to call her mistress niangniang, didn't that mean the Emperor was going to give her mistress a high rank?

After Jiang Yong Yu settled on the step-carriage, the taijian raised a hand: "Up." He didn't care about the other three and walked away with Jiang Yong Yu.

After Jiang Yong Yu's step-carriage started moving, another taijian came up to call the other women and ushered them onto the remaining step-carriages to follow behind Jiang Yong Yu.

These shiqie had to first greet the Empress after entering the palace. After they travelled a certain distance, near the back hall of Tian Qi Palace, the step-carriages were lowered and the four had to proceed on foot.

He Shou walked to the entrance of the back hall and said to the taijian guarding the door: "The people of Duan Wang Fu have been received into the palace. Can I trouble gonggong to report?"

The taijian guarding the door wasn't as highly ranked as He Shou but his post was at Tian Qi Palace. He saw that He Shou was very polite and naturally didn't make it difficult for him. He raised his hands to He Shou: "So it's He gonggong. Please wait, this one will go in to ask."

"Thanks, thanks!" The smile of He Shou's face became even friendlier. Seeing the other go in to investigate, he turned to walk next to Jiang Yong Yu, informing in a small voice, "Niangniang, because the renovations of Kui Yuan Palace are quite extensive, the Empress is temporarily living in the back hall of Tian Qi Palace. The Yu Ping Palace you will live in isn't far from Kui Yuan, so it is very convenient for you to give morning greetings to the Empress in the future."

Jiang Yong Yu realized why this one called He Shou was the chief taijian steward in her palace. She quickly examined him. Seeing his conduct and awareness of boundaries, he didn't seem stupid. She nodded, "The Empress is of the highest position. It's natural that it would take more effort to renovate her residence."

He Shou gave a smile, releasing a breath inside. Originally, he was worried that he would have to serve a stupid mistress. Taking a closer look now, this one was a smart person indeed. She should be one. Out of the four shiqie, only she was made a fei. Even her residence was the Yu Ping Palace, which wasn't far from Kui Yuan Palace. That, at least, made it clear that the Empress was closest to her.