Chapter 94

Chapter Ninety Four
Appetite Wide Open

The case of Jiang Nan was taken up once again, but this time, no one begged for mercy for Rui Wang. The Emperor didn't send an official of high position to investigate in Jiang Nan but sent down an imperial decree for the Ministry of Justice and the Supreme Court to cooperate in the investigation.

Originally, some people had thought that the Emperor would use the chance to take down Rui Wang, but who knew that he was doing everything according to the rules. He didn't seem to side with his brother, and didn't take the chance to settle the score with his half brother. Many people were deeply moved by the benevolence of the Emperor.

Whether or not He Heng was really so generous, it wasn't very important to Qu Qing Ju. In the palace at the moment, she dominated above all. And she ate, drank, played and amused herself greatly.

The weather slowly moved into the fall but her appetite became better and better. She preferred to eat sour and spicy food. One night at the end of the ninth month, she ate two bowls of rice, one bowl of hot and spicy fish, and one bowl of mushroom tofu fish head soup in one sitting. It was all home-style cooking. But she just liked it and it scared He Heng into accompanying her on a walk of the gardens for more than two hours that night.

Qu Qing Ju's birthday was the second to last day of the ninth month. That day, Empress Dowager Wei held a family banquet at Fu Shou Palace. Other than their family of three, there was only Muhou Empress Dowager, Jin An Princess Royal and Heng fei present. The other three feipin only kowtowed outside the palace doors before being excused to leave.

Jiang Yong Yu was the only one of the imperial concubines whose position was a first-grade fei. Appearing at the banquet, she represented the generosity and virtue of the Empress who was able to tolerate other women in the palace. But Jiang Yong Yu understood inside what her identity was and what she should do. So after making her greetings, she picked the corner furthest away from He Heng to sit and quietly pretended to be a statue.

After He Heng ascended the throne, he elevated the titles of Jin An Princess' children. Everyone in Jing knew by then that Jin An Princess was on good relations with the new Emperor. Of all the princesses of xiandi, only Jin An Princess' position hadn't been affected, and the people in Jing still carefully flattered and respected her.

It was human nature. One's father being the Emperor or a half-brother being the Emperor, it really was two different things. No wonder some princesses would pick a side on the matter of succession. Jin An Princess managed to make a correct decision.

Those who had eyes all knew that when the new Emperor was still Duan Wang, Jin An Princess had been extremely close to Duan Wang Fei. When the news that Duan Wang had been attacked, Jin An Princess had sent many herbs and medicine to Duan Wang. Didn't her actions clearly show Jin An Princess' position?

The other person who benefited was Cheng Wang. Originally, he had been a pitiful little thing that his own father didn't care for. But now, he could be considered to be one of the most trusted people by the new Emperor. His wife had connections with the Emperor so overall, his status was even higher than when xiandi had been alive.

"Empress, your appetite is so good," After the meal, Jin An Princess looked with amazement at Qu Qing Ju who was wiping her mouth. A beat later, she commented, "Eating is good fortune."

"It's not that much," Qu Qing Ju took a mouthful of the digestive tea that a palace maid presented and looked in confusion at He Heng beside her, asking, "Really too much?"

"It's good you like eating," He Heng smiled. He looked at the other's pale and smooth face, his fingers slightly trembling as he resisted the urge to reach out and pinch her face. He turned to order Ming He behind him, "Today, the pickled cabbage fish head and Kung Pao beef tendons were made well. Who was the chef, reward!"