2 8 . 1 2 . 2 0 1 5

"I love Love -- though he has wings, and like light can flee."

•°•°•°•°•

To the one from the star,

It's been a while, hasn't it? I haven't written letters to you for quite some time now. I know it wouldn't really make much of a difference, considering you're not here and you obviously don't read it. But, somehow, writing things down -- the moments lost in the sands of time; the memories shared -- feels right.

Do you remember what day it is today?

You probably don't. Even if you did, it doesn't make a difference either. You're not here, and I'm alone. Like I was destined to be, perhaps.

I mean, it's funny, isn't it? All those years ago when you'd promised that you'd stay by my side; when we'd witnessed the green flash together, feels like a distant fantastical moment now.

It feels unreal. It feels like an illusion.

If I remember clearly, mum and dad weren't home. One would think they'd stay to wish me on my birthday at least. But no, it was too high of an expectation. My steps didn't falter when mum had revved down the road in her car with her boyfriend seated on the passenger seat. My eyes didn't leak when dad had banged the main door shut, and headed out of the house carrying a bottle of alcohol in his hand.

I didn't gasp, cry, or yell when I realised I was left alone on a day that was supposed to be happy and momentous. Again.

"Put on a warm jacket," you said when you'd waltzed into my room and flopped on my unmade bed. It was almost 4 p.m. in the evening and I couldn't understand what good a jacket would do when the heater was on a full blast, and it was my heart that was shivering with a crave -- not my body.

"Are we going somewhere?"

"Sky-ride." And you'd winked.

"Really?"

"Yep, now get ready!"

In less than five minutes, I was clothed from head to toe in every kind of woollen imaginable. Last time you'd forgotten to warn me just how cold it could get up there when you sped through the clouds.

"Hold tight," you'd whispered before we took off.

The feeling never got old. I don't think my heart skipped just one beat. It probably had missed a hundred because suddenly I was finding it hard to breathe.

It wasn't fear that dictated such a reaction from me though. It was awe; it was wonder.

It was....happiness.

"Wooohoooo!"

"Dude, don't do that!" Clasping my arms around your neck tighter, I sneaked a peek of Earth rushing with us down below. A blur of green and blue. A mosaic of brown and grey.

You were shooting forward through space probably faster than the last time.

"Where are we going?"

"We'll see."

"Tell me."

"Nope."

"Tell me!"

"One more word and I'll drop you."

"You don't mean that."

"Try me."

"Tell me where are we going!" I yelled into your ears.

And you'd almost loosened your hold on me, you smug little duck.

"Fine, fine," I'd gasped in a rush. "Fine, don't tell me. You're annoying."

"You're cute."

"You're a duck."

"What? Why?"

"Because their quack quack is annoying. And you're annoying."

"Annoying isn't equals to duck, what even?"

"Whatever."

I hadn't realised we'd slowed and were gradually lowering down. After a few, we'd landed on a cliff that overlooked an ocean. I wasn't sure about our location, but the scenery took away my breath.

There was a blanket of green behind us -- a forest that deepened and spread over a vast stretch of land. The ocean in front of us was a dark shade of blue, with sprinkles of gold shimmering on its surface as the time for sundown approached.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

I'd nodded, unable to find the appropriate words that could even closely explain the tornado of emotions brewing inside me.

"Happy Birthday!"

I don't think I could've controlled it. I remember turning towards you and engulfing you in a tight embrace. I didn't know how to thank you. You probably didn't know how much these small acts of kindness meant to me. So all I could do was hug you and stain your shirt with my tears.

"Thank you. For everything."

"Hey now, I haven't shown you the best part yet!"

Releasing my hold on you, I followed the direction you were pointing at with your finger. "What is it?"

"When the sun sets, you'll see a green flash. Make a wish then. Be quick about it though because you might even miss it. Make a wish and the light will fulfill it all."

"Like a genie?"

"Like a genie." You'd grinned.

We waited with bated breaths. The clouds looked like sponges, soaking the daylight within it as the sun slowly slipped down towards the horizon. The shrill cry of hawks grew distant, and altogether it was tranquil and blissful.

We watched as the orange disk of the sun slowly melted into the hollow of the sky, emitting a radiance so bright and beautiful, it felt like a dream. The rims flattened, slowly and steadily. And when the least bit of the golden ball finally dipped below, there was an instant green flash. It's easy to miss the pulse, if one isn't paying enough attention.

I quickly made a wish, a wish that I hoped would come true. Maybe I was being too greedy. Maybe I was being selfish but I'd wished for your company forever and ever.

I never got a chance to visit that place again. I didn't know that place, to begin with. But I travel to the outskirts of our town even today -- where the buildings aren't crammed together; where you could easily witness a sunset and sunrise -- in hopes of seeing that green flash again.

When I saw the flare of light today, I wished for you to come back. One last time.

But will you ever?

•°•°•°•°•

A/N

I know, I know. This is too late for a book where the author has promised to update almost everyday, and I'm really sorry for the extremely late update -- just been really busy lately with college and all -- but I hope you enjoyed this part!

Let me know your thoughts be it rants or raves! ❤

Thank you so much for reading!

~Jenna