1 7 . 1 . 2 0 1 6

"Why fear and dream and death and birth

Cast on the daylight of this earth..."

•°•°•°•°•

To the one from the star,

I did not expect things to go so smoothly. Two socially inept people coming together for work could've been a disaster or fruitless. But it was neither.

"I can collect the samples for this project. I have this garden in my backyard so...will probably find something there." Noah'd pushed his glasses up the length of his nose. But it slid down again when he bent over a text placed before him on the table.

"All right. I'll collect the materials for the writing portion and finish it by...tomorrow?"

"You can do that?" He'd looked shocked for a moment. "I mean, I could help..."

"No, that's okay!" I'd offered a smile. "I'll manage."

"If you say so."

We'd remained seated for a good while, without making any conversation, when I asked, "So...how long have you been playing the violin?"

His face almost lit up. Not that he looked sour before, but there was this smile in his eyes when he spoke."Since I was five." He loved music.

"That's amazing! Why haven't I seen you in any of the school programmes?"

"Ah, well, I just don't participate very often. I mostly like to play by myself." Suddenly, he looked nervous.

"But you were playing back there at the entrance, and honestly that was beautiful!"

"Yeah uh-" he was fidgety, almost jittery, "-I was on my...I was on my way to violin classes. I mean I'll go there from here!"

"Oh, then I probably should get going too! You have classes and I need to be home. So I'll see you tomorrow?" I'd smiled and stood up from my seat, when he suddenly responded, "Let's go together."

"But don't you have classes?" We exited the coffee shop and stood before the entrance, looking at the afternoon sky that glowed brighter than a flame. For a winter day, it definitely was a tad dazzling than usual.

"Yeah but you're headed that way, aren't you?" He'd pointed to the right, and I nodded. "So let's go together."

We walked down the snow-caked path, the dirt crunching beneath our boots. A chill settled in my bones and I shivered, and Noah being a gentleman was about to offer me his coat.

But I'd refused. "Don't do it."

He'd looked confused. So I'd offered a glaringly unintelligent explanation, "I will just feel like one of those romance novels' main character, you know what I mean? No? Okay. It's weird. I'm weird. Don't mind me." And we'd walked on, but not before Noah almost doubled over and started laughing like it was the end of world.

We'd reached my place in a couple of minutes -- school really wasn't that far from home -- when I saw you standing at the entrance gate, probably waiting for me. Despite being bright and almost sunny, the air was made dense with the chill. And yet here you were, waiting for me outside.

I thought you'd hated the cold?

I'd hastened my pace and bounded over to you. "You fool!" I'd snapped and hit you in the head with my book. "What the hell are you doing outside in this cold weather? Get inside!"

You'd pushed your lower lip forward and replied, "I was just waiting for you." I'd noticed your gaze finding its way behind me, and I realised I'd almost forgotten about Noah.

"That's Noah! A friend and my project partner."

You'd offered a smile and extended your hand, "Hey, it's really nice to meet you! Also, thanks for accompanying her."

Noah seemed shy. He'd slightly lowered his gaze and said, "No worries. And you are...?"

"Ah-" I didn't know what to tell him.

"A friend," you'd answered, and I was happy and disappointed at the same time?

"Oh, I see. Well then," Noah turned around to meet my eyes, "I'll see you tomorrow!"

I'd nodded. "Sure! Have a good day, Noah."

"You too." And he brushed past us, walking away until his frame was only a black dot in the white earth; far ahead and away.

"Let's go in and make something. I bought noodles, woop!" And you'd rushed in.

I'd smiled and followed you inside. "Today wasn't so bad, huh?"

Next day, at school, when I'd opened my locker and peered inside, there was no letter. I'd checked my desk, but there was no letter. I'd waited till the afternoon for something; and yet, nothing.

For the first time, I'd found no letter.   

  •°•°•°•°•  

A/N

Oh. 

;) 

~Jenna