I. did you hear the news

My breath tightened as I held onto my survival bag to stabilize my state of mind and my numb body. It was a crowded little space with all of us forced inside. No one dared let out a breath and movement was restricted to small millimeters towards our closest neighbors. All of us were holding our individual weapons to ward of the bad man. Sharp lead and thin blades were the preferred, common item—

"Risa!"

I sighed and poked my head out behind my journal. "What, Cody?" I scratched my head with my pen's ballpoint and raised an eyebrow at the boy with dirty blonde hair and cerulean eyes.

He shook his head with a little scoff. "Been shouting your name like a psychopath since we got in study hall. You need hearing aids?"

"My butt's numb," I groaned, pushing off the floor of the school's hallway as I gave my crippled body a good stretch. Unfortunately, Cody reached up and jerked me back down.

"Stop it," he said through gritted teeth, "You just shoved your ass in the principal's face."

"Well good for him." I rolled my eyes as I picked up my journal again and gave him an evil eye. "Who told him to be here anyway, this is our study hall." I didn't literally do that, obviously. Cody's a bit dramatic.

The boy smacked me on the arm and I rubbed it automatically. "Listen," he emphasized with his hands, "Did you hear the news?"

I tucked a piece of my black hair behind my ears. "You mean.. last night?" I quirked, smirking at him as my ears perked up. People in the study hall were looking at me and Cody with strange glances. We ignored them.

Cody gave me a blank look. "What else?"

"Hm," I nodded, picking up my pen again as my eyes strayed to my journal, "Didn't watch the news. You know how much I gotta pay for cable? Shit ton, Cody, shit ton."

"Figured," he sighed, "Well, let me fill you in."

"Yes, enlighten me," I muttered sarcastically, slumping against the wall as I attempted to finish as much of my homework as possible before reaching home.

"They obtained another victory, another enemy sabotaged," Cody smirked, "Can you believe it was all done last night while we were all asleep?"

I gently rubbed my earlobe with that I-beg-to-differ expression on. "'All' is a bit of a presumptuous hypothesis that doesn't stand true for every—"

"—P. Strike was taken down," Cody's little play-on accent emerged to further his point, "It took weeks for T6-GEO@ to bring him to justice. Serves the damn jerk right for infiltrating their system."

"Very much true," I pursed my lips, absent-minded as I tried to find what the value of Beta was on my worksheet.

Cody leaned back on the wall and sighed a sigh of relief. "Imagine the sleep they lost."

"Harsh," I chimed in.

"They work so hard for the well-being of the world."

"You make them seem like superheroes."

"Basically," Cody winked at me. "Each has a different speciality. Everyone's been obsessed with them since this year."