XXVI. kiss of death

3 y e a r s a g o.

THE TEAM WAS ALL packed on the first deck at four in the morning

THE TEAM WAS ALL packed on the first deck at four in the morning. At such an unreasonable time, no one was sleeping. And it wasn't because we didn't wish to either, but because we were concerned about leaving our leader alone with the man that hadn't come back yet.

The Commander paced the room in agitated silence. His breathing was low, eyes flaring menacingly, and his body was stiff. K2 attempted to settle the man down, but of course, he wasn't going to listen.

"Where the fuck does he go every night?" the man exploded all of a sudden. "How come all of his mates are here, but not him?"

K2 watched the side of his face. "You know he has his agency's assignments to complete on top of ours."

"Then we're going to change that."

The front door swung open. All heads turned to the entrance. My eyes widened as a towering figure stood at the doorway.

The man was bruised. Bloody. Panting from shortness of breath. He dropped to his knees just barely reaching the inside of the penthouse, before slowly collapsing to the floor.

We all watched emotionlessly. At least tried to. Anyone who moved would be killed by our leader, and anyone who tried to help the man up would be killed by the man himself.

"X," K2 gritted his teeth, rising quickly up from the couch to support the man. But he stopped in place when the Commander stuck a hand out to halt him.

He walked to the man that just entered and crouched down, placing a hand on his wavy hair and stroking his cheek. The Agent began breathing again and I caught a glimpse of him flinching. As if the touch from our leader burned him like acid.

In a swift second, Asao dropped the bowl he was holding when the Commander's hand wrapped around the man's neck, and jerked his whole body up.

Osias objected from the side. Cody tried prying the fingers away, but our leader pushed him away. I rose from my seat with a dark expression and went to help Cody up, my eyes still on the Commander and what he was going to do next.

The bruised man grunted out in pain, before he cut himself short due to lack of air. But they knew he would be fine. It was the Commander's way of saving his life. In a split second, the other man had strategically trapped his arm around the Commander's arm and twisted it away from his body in anger, despite being drained of energy.

I sighed out in uncertain relief. Agent X was back. Maybe that'd cool down everyone.

Maybe, we could all just go to sleep now.

The Commander was still angry. He tried to grip his hands on the man's shoulder, but stopped when the other man spoke up. Venom dripped out of the Agent's mouth as his grey eyes shot open and cursed the living soul out of the leader.