XVIII. apartment visitor

"How on earth did this lock from the outside?" I exclaimed, ramming my full weight into the door, only to regret it a split second later. My eyes widened when I witnessed the knob twist itself. Before I could process the so-it-would-seem supernatural act, I witnessed the door flinging wide open. In my face.

I was saved by a hair due to my, I'd dare say, quick reflexes. Stumbling diagonal, I was able to grab ahold of the spinning chair in the control room just as the door cut through the space where my body had just been.

My balled-up fists came to the front as I spun around and made eye contact with the figure standing by the door's frame. A moment later, I felt dumb as I stood there lifelessly.

"Does Risa Kennedy mind lowering her knuckles from my face so I can take a good look at her in the eyes?"

Cody's staggering voice soon filled the small-spaced room while he examined me up and down with arched brows. I coughed and pounded my chest a few times as I cleared my head of far-fetched thoughts for one particular person earlier. I've been too quick to accuse people lately... let's stop, Risa.

"Risa wouldn't have any eyes if she had been a tad bit late moving out the way, Cody dear." I interjected through gritted teeth. I dropped my arms and despite almost losing my ability to see, I sighed in relief that it was just my best friend behind that door and not one of the infiltrators participating in the school break-in.

Cody smirked silently as he made sure I was untouched. His eyes traveled to the body laying luxuriously on the ground and I saw his body immediately tense up.

"I saw everything," I spoke up and his eyes shifted quietly back to me, his body still proceeding towards the unknown body on the ground suspiciously. "How'd you hold up? Are you hurt anywhere?"

The man walked forward and was stopped as he grabbed my arms and stood next to me, his eyes not diverting away from the stranger. "Why is there one of those in here with you?" He asked carefully as his head tilted over my shoulders.

I shook my head and glanced back before turning back to him. "He broke into the control room to hack the school's CCTV cameras. I happened to meet him in here and dealt with it how I saw best. Don't worry, he's been down for a while." My reassuring did convince him somewhat and the man finally allowed himself to look away.

He didn't inspect the dozens of screens behind me afterwards. Instead, his eyes were on me. "Why were you out of your classroom? Don't tell me your long-ass shitting problem hasn't been resolved since the last time?"

It took a while for me to remember what he was referring to, but once I recalled it, I slapped the man on the shoulders. "Touché," I crossed my arms and jutted my chin. He grabbed my chin and playfully pulled it close to his face for a moment before he brushed pass me.

I rolled my eyes and spun around to observe what the man was doing, arms still folded across my chest. "My dude, you never answered me," I pressed as Cody turned back to me with amused eyes.

"You asked something?" He cocked his head. I nudged the man on the arm to quit playing around.

"I'm fine," Cody replied, hands on his hips as he observed the blank screens on the computers, "They came in through my class's window so I led them out in the hallways and fought them there. Thought I heard someone shuffling in this hallway and I came around the corner to find Casey boy walking out. He didn't see me," Cody shrugged his shoulders, "But I thought the room behind him was suspicious so I checked it out. Turns out it was just you."