7« bedtime stories

"Sorry I can't do anything about the smell."
"It's fine...a reminder of him doesn't have to be a bad thing."
Yoongi had just finished setting up some blankets and pillows on the leather couch in the living room, and now we relaxed in the kitchen, drinking warm tea. He seemed to keep up with the house well for living by himself with a kid. It was clean and homey, everything in its place.

After an exhausting day, complete with a delicious meal of ramen, all I wanted was to collapse into that couch and hibernate.
Yoongi could probably tell that I was sleepy from the way my eyes glossed over and my head tilted drowsily.
"I guess we should probably check in for the night," he yawned, standing to put his tea cup in the sink. "I'd say we're both due for a good night's sleep."
"Agreed." I smiled gratefully and stretched out my arms, wondering if I should hug him or shake his hand.
I decided neither, simply bowing my head before turning to go lay down. It felt strange, sleeping in someone else's house. I had no idea how long it'd been since I had a sleepover.
"Daniella?" Yoongi peeked his jade-tipped head in from the hallway. "I brought you some of Jeongguk's sweatpants and a T-shirt to sleep in. I didn't think you'd be too comfortable in that apron and jeans."
I'd honestly completely forgotten about my attire until he said that, but now the clothes in his hands looked all-too-inviting.
"Thank you so much; you really didn't have to do all this."
As he handed me the clothes, his lips curled up into that habitual half-smile that I liked more and more every time I saw it.
"This is nothing if it means you can make us happy again."
I shook my head shyly as my cheeks burned red. "I'll try my best."
"Goodnight, Daniella."
"Goodnight, Yoongi."
He flipped the light switch and disappeared down the hall, leaving me to change out of my dirty clothes and into the new ones. Thankfully there wasn't a mirror around, because a young boy's outfit would only emphasize my lack of curves.
Once I was comfortably clothed, I bundled up under the wool blanket Yoongi'd left me and closed my eyes. Sleep was well on its way before I heard the tiniest of footsteps approaching.
My eyes slipped open to see a pajama'd Jeongguk tip-toeing to the kitchen, which I had full view of from my spot on the couch. He poured a glass of water from the sink, the sound of the faucet a beacon in the quiet little house. I watched him tip-toe back into the hall, but then-
Whoop!
It looked like something out of a cartoon as he slipped and landed on his butt on the floor, spilling the water all over his lap.
"Shit!"
"Pffft!" I couldn't help but giggle a little at the comical scene, but I immediately got up from the couch and ran over to help him clean up.
"Gosh, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to wake you up," he whispered shyly.
"I wasn't even asleep yet," I assured him. "You just go back to bed, I'll get a paper towel and clean the floor."
Instead, Jeongguk grabbed a towel from one of the kitchen drawers and lay it flat over the wet spot on the tile. He then raced down the hall and into his bedroom without a word, skittish as a cat.
I rolled my eyes with a smile and returned to my nest on the couch, drifting to sleep once more.
~~~
"Dani! Dani, wake up!"
"Sam?" I jolted awake, but the wool blanket around me reminded me that I wasn't home, and he wasn't here.
The room was still dark, but it was clearly a bunny faced child that sat in front of me.
"Jeongguk? Didn't you just go back to bed?" I yawned grumpily.
"That was an hour ago. But I can't sleep."
I sighed and sat up, all too used to playing the protective big sister.
"What's the problem, bud?"
He stayed silent, biting his lip with a worried frown.
"I...I miss Sam."
I had known this was coming, so I simply closed my eyes and took deep breaths until I was ready to speak.
"Me too."
"I'm sorry that I freaked out earlier. It's just... it's been a while since I even heard his name."
Even in the dark, I could see the glimmer of tears running from his haggard eyes. I instinctively reached a frail hand up to wipe them away, and pulled him into a soft hug.
How do I make this okay? How can I make both of our hearts stop hurting?
"W...Would you like to hear a story about him? It might make you feel better."
"Mhm." He crawled onto the couch beside me and nuzzled his head into my shoulder, his affection bringing warmth to my lonely heart. I gave him a motherly kiss on the head before I began.
"Well, Sam always thought he was some cool rocker dude. He thought he was gonna grow up to be just like Kurt Cobain."
"Kurt Cobain?"
I chuckled. "The lead singer of Nirvana. It's a rock band. Anyways, when he was twelve, he wanted to dye his hair and get his ears pierced, since that would make him the 'ultimate king of rock.'"
We both giggled at that.
"I told him we could do one, but not both. So, he picked hair dye because he just really wanted to have jet black hair. And then, ten minutes after we got home, he came up to me with a needle embedded in his finger."
"What?"
Apparently, he thought he could pierce his ears alone, but he completely missed, and stuck himself! We had to take him to a doctor to get it out because of how deep it was!"
Jeongguk sniffled, his little voice sounding miles away. "That sounds like something he would do."
I sighed, sleep begging its way back into my head.
"You're tired, bud. Why don't you go back to bed?"
"Can I stay here?" He snuggled a little bit closer to me, wrapping his arms around my waist. I felt a bit strange, but it was impossible to say no to the kid who looked exactly like my baby brother.
"Okay, bud."
So, as I lay next to the only person who completely knew my grief, I decided that I would do anything and everything I could, if it meant making him happy again.

~~~

{a/n} hiya reader, thank you for reading this chapter. I hope you're receiving the story well. I don't have much to say today except that I hope you have a lovely day.

If you liked this chapter, I always appreciate a vote or a comment. I hope I'm giving Dani and Jeongguk the positive relationship they both need, but not moving it along too fast. I always appreciate some feedback, positive or negative, so if you have something to say, please say it.

As always, happy reading <3

사랑해
-라나