10« can we skip to the good part

"Why?"
"Jeongguk loves you because you remind him of Sam. Every second he's around you, he feels closer to him. You're already healing him and it's only been a day."
"Huh." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, wondering how I could be anything like Sam when we were polar opposites. Jeongguk was the one who was like him. Geeky, outspoken, goofy, sweet.
Maybe it was wrong, but when I looked at Jeongguk, my heart sped up and nothing else mattered. But it wasn't him. I looked at Jeongguk, and I saw Sam.
"Funny, I can say the same about him." I finally replied, my voice wavering. "He makes me feel like Sam's really here again."
The slowing of the truck as Yoongi pulled into the parking lot cut off our conversation, the air filling with tension. I was eager to get this process over with as quickly as possible, wondering how I could deal with going through my brother's things again.
"Well, here we go." I hopped out of the truck, sighing as my feet hit the familiar gravel ground.
Yoongi stayed quiet, probably hesitant to address any touchy subjects. He followed me silently all the way to my building, our uneven steps crunching on the gravel. The apartments were a wasteland, Seokjin's truck being one of the three that were parked in the gymnasium-sized parking lot.
Maybe they're going out of business, I considered. That must be why they kicked me out. They can't afford anymore second chances.
As we approached the rickety stairs, Yoongi widened his eyes and dropped his mouth open, completely flabbergasted.
"You're on the top floor?!"
"Yeah..is that a problem?"
"How do you get all the way up there without passing out?"
I rolled my eyes and stomped my foot. "Stop making comments about how I look! It's rude! I don't need your concern on every single thing I do; I got along just fine before I met you!" I turned my nose up at him angrily, fed up with his constant babying.
"Obviously you didn't," he remarked smugly as he motioned to my body. "You forgot to feed yourself."
I scoffed, smiling with as much sarcasm as I could muster. "Okay, I'll just go up to my apartment, then. You can wait out here and keep the truck warm like the gentleman you're supposed to be."
"Absolutely not, I'm staying right next to you."
"Have fun catching up!" I taunted with a sarcastic smirk, stomping up the stairs and leaving him behind.
"Oh, now you've asked for it, brat!"
Yoongi easily closed the distance in a few quick strides before he daringly scooped me up over his shoulder as if I weighed two ounces. He confidently hoisted me up the stairs as I yelled in opposition.
"Put me down Min Yoongi, this isn't funny!" I screamed, but to no avail. He was enjoying this, gaining speed by the second.
"I can easily find a friendlier roommate, you ass-"
"Shit!" He cut me off.
"What?"
"Uh..hi." Yoongi's voice sounded considerably awkward, as if he'd confronted an old girlfriend or something. He carefully let me down onto the stairs, dismissing our conflict from only moments ago.
As my blood rushed back out of my head, My eyes focused on the the reason for Yoongi's sudden halt.
"Hey Jimin."
He looked completely defeated, my green backpack in one hand, and a bouquet of flowers in the other. Roses. How he knew those were my favorite was anyone's guess.
His shoulders slumped, and his eyes drooping, Jimin looked devoid of all of his usual charm.
"...What are you doing here?"
"Sandra sent me to give you your stuff. You're...fired." His voice was cold, emotionless. He sounded like a stranger.
I bit my lip nervously. I was planning on quitting anyway, so this wasn't necessarily terrible news, it was just how he delivered it that made it hard to hear.
"Jimin..are you okay?"
But of course he turned the subject.
"Why him? You've known him for two days."
"It's not like that-" I tried to explain, but-
"I heard you call this stranger your roommate. Why couldn't you just tell me you were getting evicted, Dani?"
A pang of guilt struck my heart as my eyes darted to the eviction notice that remained pinned to my door, still omitting the same feeling of absolute dread.
"Do you really think I wouldn't have helped you?" Jimin asked.
A lump was building in my throat.
"Chim, I-"
But the raspy, accented voice from behind me cut in defensively.
"Dude, maybe she doesn't tell you everything because she's not into you. Take a hint. Maybe she'd give you a chance if you stopped guilt tripping her for every single thing she does. You're not her father."
Jimin froze, his bottom lip jutting out in a pout and breathing getting deeper as he looked to me for salvation. It broke my heart to see him hating my new friend, someone I was genuinely growing fond of. It was childish, but I'd have hoped Jimin would be happy for me.

That didn't change the fact that Yoongi had intervened far more than necessary. His bluntness to sweet, sensitive Jimin would only make things worse.
"Too far, Yoongi," I frowned solemnly in his direction before pointing my attention back at Jimin with an apologetic frown. "I'm sorry for worrying you. I really appreciate the flowers."
"Whatever." He shoved between us and stormed down the stairs, two at a time. He left the backpack and the flowers forlornly on my doorstep, their sweet connotation gone as quickly as he was
I grabbed my arm and tilted my head at Yoongi shamefully, biting my lip. I wanted him to say something, anything that might somehow magically make that whole situation disappear.
Instead, he shook his head and gave me a dismissive frown before picking up the roses and glaring at me.
"What could possibly compel you to not want to be with him?"
My mouth gaped open at Yoongi's sudden intrusive question, my heart rate speeding as I wondered whether I had an "Attack Me" sign on my forehead today.
"Everyone has a type, Yoongi." I uttered a weak response.
"Okay, then what's your type?"
"Why should I tell you?"
The only thing left to do was enter the apartment, so if I had the opportunity to stall with meaningless banter, I was going to take it.
"Because there's no way sweet, cute, fearless little Daniella isn't into protective, handsome jerk-offs like Jimin."
"Okay, Yoongi. My type is people who see me. I like guys that have nothing to hide. They see me, they know me, and they love all of me, good or bad."
"And Jimin-"
"Loves the good parts," I finished. "He's the only person left who cares about me, and if he knew about all my baggage then he'd leave too."
"Daniella, you're not broken." Yoongi's voice got quieter, more serious, as his fingertips all too purposefully brushed against mine. "Something really terrible happened to you, and now you're learning to be happy again. That doesn't make you unlovable. You'd be unlovable if you gave up. Living through something that tough doesn't make you broken. It just makes you strong."
"Not strong enough to just open that damn apartment door." I replied, my eyes glued to the ground as there was no way I'd be able to meet his soul-stealing gaze.
"I didn't say being strong meant being alone. Sometimes it means accepting help."
His fingers interlaced with mine then, sending a shiver through my chest.
"I'm not going to be able to do this without crying," I mumbled, my cheeks burning as I closed my eyes to fight the tears building.
Yoongi tightened his grip on my hand.
"That's why I'm here."

~~~

Hope you liked the chapter!
I always appreciate a vote or a comment <3