Chapter Three

Bridget sighed as she unlocked to the door to her grams' house. Liam would be coming home sometime today or tomorrow but Bridget wanted to get a head in thinking. As she walked in, she was greeted by her grams' Picardy Shepherd, Paulie, and her black cat, Moose. Paulie was clearly distraught that his owner wasn't here.

"I'm sorry buddy." Bridget said rubbing Paulie's head. The dog thumped his tail slightly. Bridget looked around the house thinking of all the memories that she had in the house. A lot has happened in this house and she didn't wanna let any of it go.

"Knock, knock." Liam said as he walked in. Bridget couldn't even look at Liam as the tears started coming. Liam plopped down next to her and pulled her against him. "I'm so sorry, babe. I don't know what to say to make you feel better."

"That's not even the worst part." Bridget replied wiping away the tears. "I have to go through everything and decide what I can and can't keep. Like this house. It's been in my life for so long."

"We can move in." Bridget looked at Liam. "Of course, I don't think I can live in a house that smells like peaches." Bridget finally laughed at that.

"I just can't part with this house or Paulie and Moose, at least not right now with the house. I know my grams wouldn't care about us changing the house up. As long as I was happy."

"We're gonna get married eventually. Why not start out by getting a bigger house?"

"You always know how to make me feel better, Payne."

"That's my job." Liam pecked Bridget's cheek. "It's gonna be hard to go through everything but I have some memories in this house too. I talked to management and they understand that you need this house. It's not the far away from the lads and we should be fine."

"We can't sit here all day. I have to go through everything. My aunt has always liked my grams' bed from some reason and I promised her they could have that. My old room is still together. I was thinking about putting my old stuff in the basement and then going through my grams' stuff. I put whatever I can't part with in the basement and I guess I can give the family the other stuff."

"You sure you wanna do this today?"

"I can't sulk all day and cry about it. I know it's normal to grieve but I can't cry all the time."

"Okay then. Let's get to it." Liam pulled Bridget to her feet and they started going through everything.

It didn't take that long because her grams' house had a small upstairs with just the two bedrooms and a bathroom. The downstairs had a bathroom and an empty guest room as well. By the time they were done, it was almost dinner time. They had boxes of things downstairs including her grams' bed as well as the furniture she had and the stuff from Bridget's old room. Liam and Bridget ordered a small pizza and sat in the empty front room.

"It's so different now." Bridget said taking a bite out of the pizza.

"The house is empty." Liam replied taking a drink of his soda.

"There's too much that has happened in this house. It's just awkward knowing that the person who raised me is gone. And the fact that I'm gonna be living in this house. And it doesn't help that I'm gonna have to see my parents."

"Maybe this time it'll go good and you can finally get in a calm conversation."

"I do hope that she'll finally realize what she has done and maybe take responsibility for it. I would like to be able to see my brother's once in a while. I'm still not gonna forgive my mum and it's making me mad that everything is falling apart."

"You know I'll always be here for you."

"I know. Sometimes I just wish that I wouldn't have to be in this mess. The person who raised me is dead and all I have is you guys."