Chapter Sixteen

Liam and Bridget were in the courtroom with Karen and Geoff behind them. Bridget's parents, Maggie and Thomas, were across from them.

"What is the case today?" The judge asked.

"Mrs. Reed is filling for custody of her son and grandson." Maggie's lawyer spoke.

"Mrs. Reed, you may proceed."

"I'm here filing for custody because I feel that my daughter is not capable of raising a child at such a young age. With her husband gone away so much, I feel as though they wouldn't have much time to raise a child." Bridget shook her head trying not get angry.

"Mrs. Payne, would you like to add in anything?"

"Yes, I would. I'm a great mother to my son. Liam is a great father. I went through a very short pregnancy due to one of my babies dying and had to have an emergency C-Section. My mother gave me up when I was very young to my grandmum and about a year ago, she told me that I was the reason for my parents' split. And not too long ago, my mother gave up her other son, my little brother, Durk, for the same reason she gave me up. My mum is not well in the head and only wants my son because she thinks of herself as smaller than myself. Yes, Liam is in a band and is on tour right now but he came home when I had to have my C-Section. I did go back with him and bring the kids will me because this is his job and I won't take away from that. We have his family and ten of our close friends who can back up our stories."

"Do you have proof that she gave up custody of you and your brother?"

"Yes, I do." Liam pulled out the documents and handed them to Bridget who handed them to the officer in the court who then handed it to the judge. Bridget could see the look on Maggie's face as she knew she was about to lose this battle.

"I'm ashamed to have you in my courtroom Mrs. Reed." The judge said looking up at Maggie. "It says here you gave up both children because you couldn't care for them and you have a third?"

"Yes, we do."

"Why would you give up two children and keep the youngest?" Liam and Bridget both looked at Maggie.

"I'm not fit to be a mother. Her father and I argued all the time and I felt it would be better to have her not living in a house where there was arguing."

"But you to this day still argue around your third child?"

"I'm sorry your honor." Maggie looked down.

"So am I. I order custody of your youngest removed as you are not fit to be a parent. He will go to whoever we see fit. As for you, Mrs. Payne, you have nothing to worry about. You seem to be a very good parent and so does your husband. Would you be willing to take in your youngest brother?" Bridget looked at Liam who nodded immediately.

"Yes, we would be willing to take him in."

"Alright, sign this and he is yours."

~~~~~

Bridget's youngest brother Durk was only two years old but he recognized his older sister. Bridget's aunt was furious about her getting custody of her brother but Bridget was happy. Yes, it would mean not being able to go with Liam but it meant her brothers were safe.

"Abe." Durk almost shrieked as Liam, Bridget, and Abe came rushing in. Abe ran to Durk and it was cute to see the brothers hugging each other. "What is he doing here?"

"Mum tried to take you and Tailor away from us. Instead the judge gave us you and Abe." Abe was latched onto his brother, he missed his brother. Abe then let go of his brother to hold his hands out to Liam who he'd never seen before. Liam smiled and picked Durk up.

"Can I take him to my room?"

"Yeah go ahead. I need to talk to Liam anyway." Liam passed Abe to Durk who then took Abe upstairs.

"What's wrong?" Liam asked.

"Nothing, I'm just amazed at how our life has been. I mean, my parents are gone for good and now we have this amazing life together with three boys we need to take care off."

"Life just has a better plan for us. A plan for us to move on to get a better life."

"A plan for us to be normal."

"Maybe this is time for us to start over." Liam took Bridget's hand and walked up the stairs to their new family with her in tow.

~~~~~~

(Voice over in Bridget's voice.)

"We've had such a long and incredible life. With the boys doing their band, it's been hard on all of us girls but we stick by our boys' sides. Together through the hardships life throws at us, we will always come out strong. Nothing will stop us from doing what we want and from having our normal lives."

THE END