1. night of the blood moon

The man with the rough, blistered hands grabbed Yu Hua by the arm and threw him to the ground. 

"Is that the last of them?" Another man yelled. 

"En." The man nodded in reply, turning sharply and leaving the room. 

Wait, Yu Hua wanted to call after them. The frost and swirls of snow bit his thin, pale fingers as he reached out towards the large wooden cart, which had begun backing away. He watched blurrily as the wooden cage which he had spent the past two days in moved farther away. Wait, no, I don't want to stay here! Take me back! To my mother and father in the countryside... they are waiting for me...!

Yu Hua's arm slumped with exhaustion. The door was still wide open, giving him a clear view of the cart. Snow swirled in occasionally, dropping the room's temperature lower and lower. 

How peculiar. It had snowed towards the end of the seventh month. It must be a sign... a strike from the Nine Heavens...

Yu Hua looked around. 

Where am I?

Why were there no guards, like the ones who accompanied us on our journey? 

His mind flashes back to his father telling him terrible tales of wolves eating children, although Yu Hua is far from the woods. 

"HALT!" A man clad in black runs after the cart. A sword glints at his waist, and Yu Hua's ears perk up at the sound of him. "HALT!" The sound of boots crunching snow is distinctly clear, even as he fades in an out of consciousness. 

The door is wide open right now. He, and the multitude of beautiful young women in the room with him, could escape if they wanted. However, the guards had fed them nothing, not even water on the journey. Treated worse than a slave. None of them had the energy to face the brittle cold for another second, let alone run. 

Yu Hua pushed himself onto his arms. 

He had a little sister, named Mei You. And a cow, named Xiao Huang. He had his parents. He had people waiting for him. 

He got an inch closer to the door before collapsing again. 

More footsteps. This time the soft, delicate patter of ladies. 

"Aiya, Wen'er, what happened? I just appeared with the new concubines and the entire palace is in an uproar -"

"It's the Emperor!" Wen'er gasped. "He - he -"

"Come on, spit it out!" The other woman snapped. "My mood is already bad enough with all this snow -"

"He's dead!" Wen'er spluttered. "Assassinated at the royal feast! I heart it was Marquis Gu who did it! Stood right up, pulled out a knife - and - and -!"

"My god!" The other woman screeched. 

"Head of the Lotus Ladies, Miss Yao -" Wen'er stammered, 

"I've dealt ladies with him before! They'll definitely count this as treason! I must run - !"

"The concubines, Miss Yao! What of the concubines -"

"They don't matter! Without the Emperor, there is no harem! Abandon them! They will most likely be stolen away - or sent to appease the soldiers, then killed!"

"Miss Yao - !"

Yu Hua's ears was filled with the sound of Miss Yao running over the crunchy snow.