2. willow cave

10 years later...

A man, a beautiful young man with skin glowing like the moon, long black hair, and bright, beautiful eyes sits on the porch of a small house surrounded by a blossoming garden. He wears a long, white silvery robe, plain with no embroidery, and on his lap rests a beautiful zither made of black oak. His long nimble fingers, graceful and delicate with practice, skirts across the strings, plucking up beautiful notes. The wind rustles through the garden and his hair as the beat picks up, sending a lovely melody running across the valley.

When he is finished with his song, he looks up at the sky longingly, clouds reflected in his eyes. 

"Ah, where are you, Wang Chang Sheng," he murmurs. "I miss you..."

With a reluctant sigh, the stunning man stands with his zither tucked away neatly under his arm, turns, and walks back into the house. He has just finished placing a zither down onto his table when a small thump from outside the house catches his attention. 

Curious, he walks back out again to find a small grey rabbit curled up in pain. Somehow it had run into his house, its leg bleeding profusely from a jagged cut. It whimpers, thumping its back leg, and the beautiful young man hurries to its side. 

"Oh dear," he murmurs, gently assessing the wound. "What happened."

The rabbit screams, letting out short bursts of sound. 

"Shh, shh," he says softly. "Don't worry, I've got you." With a featherlike touch, he lifts the rabbit, sliding his hand under its legs and carrying it slowly into the house. "I'm not much of a doctor... but I've been living here so long, I know a bit." He places the rabbit down on his well-cushioned bed, and then proceeds to grind herbs into a paste. "Don't worry too much, okay?" With a honey-colored wooden stick, he smears the paste over the rabbit's legs and then binds it well with a white bandage. "Rest," he whispers, stroking the rabbit's head. Listening to the young man's soft words, the rabbit falls into a deep sleep, rolling over on its back. 

"What a lovely show, Yu Hua."

Yu Hua jumps, tearing his gaze off the rabbit. "Wang Chang Sheng!" He exclaims, hurrying over to the tall, handsome man leaning in the doorway. He pouts and tugs on Chang Sheng's long sleeve, like a small child. "You're later than usual. I missed you."

"Oh, you did?" Chang Sheng grins, unfolding his arms and running a hand through Yu Hua's dark hair. He wraps his hand around it, like how he usually does and lifts it to his mouth for a kiss. 

"You always do that," Yu Hua grins. He blushes, as usual. "How are the matters in the palace?" He asks.   

"Mm. Busy." 

"Tell me more," Yu Hua says softly, holding onto Chang Sheng's arm and leading him inside. Chang Sheng takes a seat at Yu Hua's small table, and Yu Hua flitters over to his stove to boil some water for tea. "Do you want anything to eat? Was the journey longer than usual?"

"Yes, it was long." Chang Sheng murmured. "I was missing you." 

"Stop," Yu Hua grins, pouring tea leaves into a teapot. 

Chang Sheng glanced around and caught sight of a letter on white parchment sitting at Yu Hua's desk. "Were you writing me something?" He wondered.