10. dark plans

The next four weeks passed by quickly for Yu Hua and Chang Sheng. 

Yu Hua spent the days leisurely reading and playing with Hong Huo. He brushed up upon literature, the culture and expectations of being the empress, the current affairs of the empire, and anything else. However, Chang Sheng had forbidden him to read the history of the past fifty years. This puzzled Yu Hua, but didn't bother him, as he had many other reading materials. 

Chang Sheng spent his days working and at night, romping around with Yu Hua. Sometimes too much, so when Yu Hua kicked him out (this occasionally happened when Chang Sheng was too wild) he instead attended to rebuilding his painting collection. The old painting room was sacked and now, he worked in a little area underneath the water lily pond, only accessible by crossing through the dungeon underneath the palace, passing by several spirit animals Chang Sheng had tamed, and pressing a secret knob for a heavy concrete gate to open. He was thoroughly satisfied that Yu Hua wouldn't find his new artworks, recently inspired by their nightly sessions. 

When Yu Hua wasn't reading, or eating, or sleeping, or accompanying Chang Sheng, he took trips to the market. Usually, he dressed rather plainly as to not shock the citizens. Yu Hua had become somewhat of an idol, with a legendarily beautiful appearance and a gentle and kind disposition. Not only that, but he had roped in their frightening and finicky Emperor. 

Most people loved him, but of course there were Chang Sheng's fans, who thoroughly opposed this new Empress of theirs. 

As expected, Shui Hui Yin was one of these women. However, her hatred ran a little deeper than the rest. 

She sat in her courtyard for the third time that week, surrounded by a throng of noblewomen. There were the following:

Liu Chenguang, the esteemed daughter of the center army general, who had a fierce but clear-headed personality. She prioritized justice, reason, and strength over all else. She was talented in martial arts since young but was still well-versed in etiquette expected of a woman. Liu Chenguang did not play any instruments or learn the ways of painting or brewing tea, but she was especially adept at Go and calligraphy. When other women might be frowned upon for being masculine, Liu Chenguang was admired for it. She had firm, sword-like eyebrows and sharp eyes. Her mouth was a small rose petal, and the bridge of her nose was strong. As of now, she wore a dark hanfu embroidered with tall, enchanting mountains and had her hair pinned to the back of her head without any embellishments, other than a single jade hairpin with a cloud carving. 

Xia Meirong, the daughter of an extremely wealthy merchant family. Her father owned most clothing and jewelry establishments across the empire, and her mother was considered to be 'the goddess of makeup'. She had a quiet, cunning nature and was extremely well-versed in the language of business, of supply and product. She mostly kept to herself and had a sweet appearance, but her tongue could be viperous. Xia Meirong was most skilled at painting, most known for her beautiful artworks of usually flowers and animals. She was also considered in the top five most beautiful maidens of the empire, as her looks were almost unmatched. Today, she wore a pink and black hanfu, which spotlighted her face. The powder on her moon-like skin was barely noticeable, and her eyes, wide and round, were gently outlined. Her lips were like two soft rose petals, tinted a blushing red, and her hair was done extravagantly upon her head with multiple pins and beautiful decorations. 

Ye Lingqing, the only daughter of the Emperor's advisor. Her father was a scholar who had written and read many books. She, in his footsteps, had become a scholarly maiden. Observant and sharp, Ye Lingqing favored intelligence and shrewdness above all other traits. Her skills included writing literature, calligraphy, and playing Go. For the most part, she kept to herself and her library, writing poetry and reading great literature. She was quiet, but when she spoke, her words flowed as smoothly as the river, more elegant and beautiful than if one were to write and edit a sentence for half a day. Now, she was wearing a simple white hanfu and her sleek black hair was partially pinned up with the rest of it flowing down her back. A simple hairpin was lodged into her bun, dangling with miniature white crystals. In her hand she had yet another book, and flicked to it occasionally during the meeting. Her eyes were almond-shaped and sharp, her skin was a milky white, even paler considering all the time she spent indoors. She was a mature and refined beauty. Her lips were barely a brush of pink, and her nose was small and slender like the swift mark of a paintbrush. Her neck was slim and elegant as well, making her appear like a swan.