13. news (18+)

MATURE SCENES AHEAD. PLEASE READ AHEAD AT YOUR OWN CAUTION. MATURE SCENES AHEAD. WILL HAVE *** WHEN THE SCENES START. 

The weeks passed. 

Slowly for some. Dark bags permanently marred Chang Sheng's eyes, like two swipes of paint. Yu Hua had it easier - he and Lei Zhen quickly became friends, whom met up regularly in town and attended auctions and musical performances together. However, Yu Hua always had a permanent lump in his throat because of the rumors that still circulated through the city.

"Yu Hua," Lei Zhen grinned, holding a fluttering, pale pink hanfu up to her shoulders. "What do you think of this one?"

Yu Hua turned to her, distracted, and smiled gently. He was dressed in canary yellow with his straw hat on. "It's beautiful," he murmured, stepping forwards to feel the material through his fingers. Lei Zhen beamed back at him before staring at the item of clothing again. 

"I'll buy it, then. You always have great taste." She grinned back at him, looping it over her arm. 

Yu Hua smiled too, watching her skip happily to the store owner with her new possession in tow. 

He was glad to have a friend like her in the capital. Not counting animals, like Hong Huo, or people that worked for him and Chang Sheng, like Li Peng. Someone who was voluntarily his friend. 

And Lei Zhen was so energetic and charismatic, it made up for his exhaustion. 

"Let's go to the auction house after this," Lei Zhen chatted excitedly, the servant behind her carrying her new hanfu. 

Yu Hua nodded his agreement, although another bout of tiredness washed over him. He lifted a jade-like hand to his forehead, confused. The night before, he'd slept soundly, for almost ten hours. By the time he woke, Chang Sheng had already disappeared from their bed. How could he still feel so exhausted?

They began to walk over, Lei Zhen talking happily about how her day went. As of now, she wore elegant clothes dyed a relaxed lavender, embroidered with golden peonies at the bottom of the sleeves and skirt hem. Her long black hair was fixed into a partial braided crown at the top of her head, the rest flowing down. Lastly, a golden ornament was secured onto her head, glinting in the sunlight with every step she took. Compared to before, in the tea shop, she looked far more like a young noble lady. 

Yu Hua nodded in turn to Lei Zhen's chatter, making sure to seem interested. Honestly, more than anything, he wanted his bed. 

After a while, they walked in peace. This was mostly because Lei Zhen was taking her time to observe Yu Hua as well. 

She had not expected to become such good friends with him. At the beginning, every time she saw him her heart would clench, dropping like lead, but he was so kind and friendly and she couldn't resist liking him. Like a fire to a moth, Yu Hua drew in everything and everyone around him. He was funny, supportive, gentle, and Lei Zhen simply couldn't help but swell with affection for her friend. To be honest, perhaps he could be considered the closest friend she had, especially compared to her relationships with the other noble ladies. 

"I believe there's a famous auction house nearby," Yu Hua spoke up, glancing around with sudden interest. This particular auction house, the Grand East to West Auction House was owned by a prominent noble family and they were holding several rare and exquisite bidding events today and the next two days. 

Yu Hua had heard this from word of mouth, but hadn't seriously thought of attending since the need to own outrageously priced treasures had not crossed his mind. But, since they were here already, they might as well attend. Additionally, seeing those precious artifacts and watching others bid was extremely entertaining.