16. lost

Yu Hua's stomach had been growing full as the days and nights had passed. Now, he sat in front of the window in his room, a chill indicating winter's approach. He rubbed his hand over the slight bump, relishing the feel of his jade ring gliding against his abdomen.

He hadn't met with Lei Zhen in days, and there was a tendril of worry in his chest when he thought of the young girl feeling lonely. However, that was overwritten as he felt his heart swell with love for his little bean.

Yu Hua drew his soft cloak around him tighter as he smiled softly.

"Little bean," Yu Hua murmured, fingers tracing circles on his tummy. "Mommy and Daddy love you very, very much."

A soft knock echoed through the door.

"Come in," Yu Hua called.

"Empress," Li Peng bowed lowly but stood again with surprise when she noticed the open window. "What are you doing?! The room is cold, Emperor will kill me if you get sick -"

Yu Hua laughed, the sound light and airy. "Don't worry, he will do no such thing. I just wanted to enjoy the view of the garden, since Chang Sheng never lets me out anymore."

"Rightfully so, it's very windy these days."

"I thought you were my ally, Li Peng."

"Li Peng will always be on Empress' side." Li Peng dropped her head, her oath ringing out loudly. "Was Empress unaware of that?"

Yu Hua's eyes softened with affection. "No, I... I was joking."

"Good."Li Peng replied, looking up again.

"What brings you here, anyway?" Yu Hua asked.

"Li Peng was asked to deliver a letter to the Empress." Li Peng said, handing over a thin scroll of cloth. "From Miss Lei Zhen."

"Oh, yes." Yu Hua nodded, his throat drying. "I haven't heard from her in a while."

He unrolled the scroll and read it quickly, guilt painting his features.

Yu Hua,

I haven't seen you for many days, and I miss you. I am at the Palace today, Shui Hui Yin is giving me and some other ladies a tour of the Imperial garden. How about you join us? I heard that the Japanese Camellia look especially beautiful at this time.

I will be waiting for you at the top of the stairs which overlooks the entrance to the garden.

I hope to see you, hurry over as soon as you receive this letter.

Yu Hua stood and re-arranged his cloak.

"You're going to go?" Li Peng said, her eyes wide with disbelief.

"I haven't seen her in a while," Yu Hua explained. "And, a tour of the gardens sounds lovely."

"Shui Hui Yin is leading the tour," Li Peng refuted.

"She must be proficient with flowers."

"It's too cold." Li Peng replied.

"Li Peng," Yu Hua looked up to her apologetically. "You don't have to come."

Li Peng searched Yu Hua's gaze, looking for one, any trace of hesitance... but found nothing. Found nothing other than trust.

Li Peng's gaze fell to the ground. "Let's go."

Hong Huo was left on the bed, sleeping soundly.

***

Shui Hui Yin clutched the hem of her sleeve. Nothing had happened. Chang Sheng had done nothing.