7. newly-weds

Court Official Gu watched the new Empress laugh happily in the courtyard, admiring the tea roses and carrying around his large new pet. A white rabbit specifically, with red stripes on its fur. It was so large and plump, it was almost spilling over in the Empress' arms. 

Court Official Gu watched his wholesome Empress and felt a sense of terror in his throat. 

How can you be so calm??

Almost the entire palace knew that just a few days ago, specifically three days after the celebrated wedding, Chang Sheng had hidden himself into the dark, spirit-animal infested mountains behind the palace for the entire afternoon. There had been many horror stories about the fierce and powerful beasts roaming throughout the woods, but Chang Sheng had relaxedly returned three hours later, untouched, with a large beast in his arms. 

Looking at it now, Court Official Gu swallowed nervously as he laid his eyes upon the legendary Demonic Hellfire Rabbit. With the tell-tale flame insignia on its forehead and glowing red stripes up and down its fur, it was obviously the famous beast. 

It was a rare spirit animal but had casted a dark shadow in several books written long ago. At one point in an empire, the rabbit had appeared, and the empire had fallen. It was so powerful, once in a blue moon was it seen, and once in a green moon it was caught. 

So how did Chang Sheng catch it?! Even now! Look at it! A majestic beast, reduced down to Empress' playmate! 

Yu Hua stroked Hong Huo happily. The bunny was like a little glutinous rice dumpling; soft, squishy, round, and so fun to play with! Yu Hua squeezed Hong Huo's chubby cheeks and the bunny wriggled its way out of Yu Hua's hands, moving slowly. 

"Sorry, sorry," Yu Hua held back a laugh, watching his very slow bunny lumber away. "I apologize, come back." 

Hong Huo turned, seeing such a beautiful young man, smiling happily in his eyes but pouting cutely at the same time, how could he run away? 

"Ahh, Hong Huo, you came back to me ~ ! Ehh, why do you seem so grumpy?" Yu Hua laughed, picking Hong Huo up happily into his arms.

"Court Official Gu, are you spying on my little wife?"

Court Official Gu turned and almost had a heart attack. There was Chang Sheng, glowering in all dark robes, looking like he was going to burn a hole through something with his gaze alone. 

"Ah..." Court Official Gu began sweating. "No, Chang Sheng. I was just seeing how Empress was getting along with the..." DEMONIC HELLFIRE RABBIT  "... bunny."

"Hmmmmmmmmmm..." Chang Sheng gritted his teeth as he stared at the bunny. "I got the damn bunny to protect Yu Hua when I was away but it's more like I let a robber in to steal my own house." He turned to Court Official Gu, his expression a mix of rage and regret. "Yu Hua is my house!!!"

Yu Hua turned, and looked towards a suspicious clump of bushes, but saw nothing. 

Chang Sheng and Court Official Gu, both now squatting close to the ground, parted some leaves to get a glimpse of Yu Hua again. He laughed beautifully, dark hair and eyes shining like the model to a perfect stock photo.  

Court Official Gu felt his mind heal from just looking at the Empress. How he needed this! Working with the crazy Chang Sheng had him hanging on to sanity by a string, and here came this Empress like a wonderfully timed goddess -

He turned to find Chang Sheng with his death glare focused on him. 

"C-chang S-sheng a-ah, the b-bunny -" Court Official Gu stammered.