Allies

(a/n: This chapter is just a filler chapter while I do some brainstorming on where to go from here. I apologize, because it may be a bit boring. Hope you're enjoying it otherwise!)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next day Galena sat cross legged on her bed petting Obsidian's belly while Tyrion sat at the table observing them.

"I haven't seen you this happy since the day you arrived," he smiled. He knew Galena wouldn't let anything happen to him, that she would keep the jet black creature from harming him, but he still kept his distance.

"I beg to differ," she said as she stood up. "I was perfectly content yesterday." She moved across the room to him, leaned down and kissed his lips.

Tyrion put his hand on the back of her head and held her to his lips, resulting in a sultrier kiss than she had originally intended. She didn't protest, and a soft hum escaped her lips. Tyrion, however, was more alert than he wanted to be. He opened one of his eyes when he heard Obsidian's feet hit the ground. He quickly released Galena and sat straight up in the chair.

Galena snickered at his reaction. "You're afraid of her, too?" She thought back to the day she discovered Ghost, and the way Tyrion tried to get as far away from him as possible.

He shrugged, eyeing the direwolf cautiously. "I'm sure she's never seen a man so close to you before. How do I know she won't bite my head off?"

Galena crooked her head at him and pointed out the window. "Don't you think if she wanted to do that, she would have done it when we were all over each other up there?"

"I...well..." he stammered. "I suppose you're right." But still, he pressed his body further into the chair with each step Obsidian took.

Obsidian sat at his feet and rested her head in his lap. She closed her eyes and released a deep, contented sigh. Tyrion held his hands up in surrender. "Lena," he panicked. "What is she doing?"

Galena took a step back, taking in the sight before her. Obsidian had never taken to another person as quickly as she did Tyrion. "Huh!" she said with surprise in her voice.

"What does that mean," he commanded.

Galena shook her head. "I've never seen her act like this with anyone but myself and Jon."

Tyrion stared at her with restless eyes. "You just said she wouldn't hurt me, and now you're surprised by the way she's behaving?!" he challenged as loudly as he dared, his hands still raised.

"Lena." It was Jon knocking on the closed door.

Galena lost her nerve at the sound of his voice and quickly snapped her fingers, turning Obsidian's loving nuzzle into a threatening stance. Her ears were pinned against her head, her hackles were raised, and she bared each of her teeth, centimeters from Tyrion's nose. She would attack the instant Galena snapped her fingers twice more.

"Galena!" Tyrion cried out as his eyes widened.

Galena let out a sharp whistle as Jon opened the door, breaking her beast's fixation on Tyrion. Jon stopped in the doorway, staring at the man surrendering to his cousin's direwolf.

All of a sudden, Obsidian's head turned sharply as she redirected her attention to Jon. She gnashed her teeth at him, leaving Galena dumbfounded. It was true that Obsidian witnessed the bitterness that her cousin displayed toward Tyrion when they got back to the castle yesterday, but she never reacted to Jon in that way. Obsidian was as much Jon's as she was hers.

Galena placed her hand on top of her direwolf's head and gently scratched between her eyes, another release she had taught her. She stared at Jon mortified. "I don't know why she did that!"